Broodiness end on it's own?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shamgar1, Nov 22, 2012.

1. shamgar1

shamgar1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I have 16 chickens almost 8 months old. Two of the hens have become broody. I am new so I didn't catch it early. They have been broody for almost a month. They are not mean but they sit in the nesting boxes 24/7. Most of the time they are not sitting on eggs. I throw them out several times a day and at night I put them on the roost with the others.
    My coop is sand over a vinyl tiled floor. I figured out how I can make a broody pen under the poop board.
    I know they have stopped laying, but that doesn't bother me since they are as much pets as egg layers.
    My main concern is for their health. When I throw them out they will wander around outside for a bit, but are back in within 5-10 minutes.
    Should I put them in a pen or will they break this on their own?
    Would it be better for their health to break them?
    No rooster and raising chicks is not something I want to do.
    Thanks for any help.

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    It is the best interest of the hens, to break the broody cycle as soon as you can, if you don't want them sitting. They don't eat or drink properly when they are sitting on the nest all day. I put my broodys in a wire bottomed cage, and get it up off the ground for good air circulation around the bird. I leave them in there for 3-4 days. The cage has it's own water bowl and a little dish for food.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by