Broodiness - my frist experience

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jazzpurr, Dec 2, 2008.

1. jazzpurr

jazzpurr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    Hello All,

I have one 8 month old Buff O that has gone broody. I read many posts on the subject.

I have her in a separate cage with just a wire bottom floor with a
    plastic pan underneath and a roosting bar. Plenty of food and water.

This is the 4th day I have had her separated. I let her run
    with the other hens when I have them out. The first 2 days
    she immediately ran back to the same nesting box. I'd bring her
    out and she would go right back in.
    Initially she was clucking in a steady rhythm and her neck feathers
    puffed up slightly as she looked for the nest. Shes not doing that anymore and this morning she did not seem to care about going back into the coop to find "her" nesting box.

She hasn't laid an egg but she is eating (and pooping) like
    all the rest.

In your experience, is it time to let her out with the group? I just don't want to undo the last 4 days of isolation.

Thank you everyone.

2. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Jazzpurr,
    I'll be watching this thread as well. I don't have any fabulous advice to offer, but I'm sure someone else will. [​IMG]

I'm dealing with a 7 month old broody cochin right now as well. She is in a poultry pyramid during the day and the nesting box is blocked off at night. Last night I found her "nesting" at the bottom of the coop. [​IMG]

Anyway, it sounds like your girl is close to (if not already) broken of the broody. I've read that some will just keep going broody though. So best of luck!

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds like you managed to break her broodiness. Just keep an eye on her and watch for her to try to nest again. Even if she's broken now, she may go broody again in a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by