broodiness question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KyleD., Mar 9, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    are game hens a pretty broody breed? or is just the luck of the draw if they do go broody?
  2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    My Old English Game bantams are great with setting - almost too good. You may mean the large Modern Games though. I have no experience with them, but I have heard they will set.
    Good luck!
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    im not exactly sure of what kind of game they are. it was a last minute kind of hey im in town and have a great deal on some gamesso i bought them, they are small though and give me medium size eggs
  4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    I've heard they were a pretty broody breed, but I've never had any. I have Silkies and they're rediculously broody!
  5. grandmachicken

grandmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Williamson, GA
    My youngest pullet - she's only 6 months old and just started laying a month ago - has suddenly gone broody and is setting on eggs of her own as well as eggs from my other three hens. I think she's a game hen mixed breed - I got her as a chick and have no idea what her parents were. But she's pretty small and lays small-medium sized white eggs. She is setting the eggs in a cat carrier, and I have stopped trying to see how many eggs are under her - she's gotten vicious! And the sounds she makes when disturbed - she sounds like a velociraptor!

I think 6 months is pretty early to go broody, am I right?
  6. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    yeah my OEGB is very broody she lays about 30 eggs then goes broody. she lays about every other day... I just kick her off the nest so shes not broody to long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by