Brooding and egg laying

davyspurs

Hatching
Jun 1, 2020
Hello,
I got 2 golden top hens for my kids.
Now they had started to lay eggs which was great but now one of them is broody. She stays in the coup all day everyday but now I've locked her out.
I open it to let the other hen in to lay.
The broody one stays outside the coup all day hoping she will get in (I only let her in at night).
Now my question is, how do I know shes wanting to go in and lay an egg or if she is still brooding?

I've never known a truly broody hen lay eggs. There is normally a lag between the time the broodiness ends and when ovulation resumes.
Locking them out of the coop won't stop the behavior because they can sit on the ground outside and keep their underside warm. If the breast and belly stay warm, the hormone cycle that causes them to want to raise a family will continue. To break broodiness, one must use the tried and true technique that has been used almost as long as humans have owned chickens which goes back over 4,000 years. That is an elevated wire bottom cage with a little food and water. Caught early, it only takes two or three days to get them right.

Back
Top Bottom