Brooding ceramic eggs

Br00dyViolet

Hatching
May 27, 2022
Hi - I have my first broody hen, and she is currently sitting on 2 ceramic eggs. She looks fine and isn't pecky or cross with me even when I lift her out to encourage dinner and a drink of water and to give her the once over. My question is: can I just let her be? Will she try to hatch her fake eggs forever, or at some point will she give up on them when her hormones settle down? I'm inclined to let her be because she's happy doing what seems natural to her, but am only worried if she won't ever give up the ceramic ghost.

Hi - I have my first broody hen, and she is currently sitting on 2 ceramic eggs. She looks fine and isn't pecky or cross with me even when I lift her out to encourage dinner and a drink of water and to give her the once over. My question is: can I just let her be? Will she try to hatch her fake eggs forever, or at some point will she give up on them when her hormones settle down? I'm inclined to let her be because she's happy doing what seems natural to her, but am only worried if she won't ever give up the ceramic ghost.
Take the eggs away.
Do you have a dog cage with a wire bottom?

If you don't plan on giving her real eggs to raise chicks the eggs need to be removed to discourage broodiness. It isn't doing her any favors sitting all day on eggs that will never hatch. She can get very weak from not eating and drinking properly. In extreme cases hens can die from this.

Back
Top Bottom