Brooding Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sreboth, May 17, 2011.

1. sreboth

sreboth New Egg

May 12, 2011
    My Rhode Island Red hen is about 7 yrs. old and just started laying in the cubbie all day on the eggs from the other hens. She's not laying anymore, but this new behavior has me puzzled. I'm not sure if she even gets down to eat. Have you seen this before?

2. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    I'd say she is broody and that she probably isn't going to get down to eat or drink, or even poo! I have no experience with an old chicken being broody. My only one was just about a year old when she went broody and she was apparently very easy to break. I took her off the nest and out of the run for some supervised play time with a friend. I had her out for about 3 hrs in the am while I did yard work and then for another 1 1/2 hrs in the afternoon. Then once all the others had laid, I covered the nest boxes for the night. By the next morning she was over it. However, if you want her to hatch the eggs, it sounds like she would do just fine. Good luck! Oh, if you are going to let her hatch them, you still may want to bring her out for food, water, and to poo now and then.

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    [​IMG] Welcome to BackYard Chickens sreboth! [​IMG]

You've got yourself a broody hen [​IMG]

Do you have a rooster? If not try sneaking some locally bought

fertile eggs under her - if your wanting chicks, that is. If you

decide to give her hatching eggs be sure she's gonna stick with

it. Usually after 2-3 days of seeing this broody behavior, it's safe

to give her a few eggs. You'll need to kick her off the nest everyday

to get food and water, and to do her business, as they do not potty

on the eggs.

Good luck!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It really sounds like she's going broody! [​IMG]

ScissorChick gave good advice.

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Old girls do get broody but most of us get grandchildren or puppies to satisfy that urge![​IMG]

I'd treat her just like any broody hen that you don't want sitting in the nest all day. She'll soon get over it and be enjoying her retirement again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by