Brooding Chicks In February?

jennyf

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Missouri
First time meat bird raiser wanna be here. Yesterday placed an order for Feb 14 for 12 Cornish X. Now I'm second guessing myself. Was planning on brooding them in garage with a Premier or Ecoglow overhead heater or mama heating pad until they feather out enough to go outside during day. Average lows here (St Louis) in mid-Feb is 26, high 44. Am I nuts--will I be able to keep them warm enough in an attached but unheated garage? Would prefer if at all possible not to use a heat lamp. It's either mid-Feb or nothing b/c of some travel plans.
1f62c.png
If I absolutely had to (like we're hit by a freakish cold blast of ten below) I could move the brooder in the basement, but I'd rather that not be Plan A....

I don't know what your weather is like right now, but my first thought is to set up a dry run. Set up the brooder and warming light etc as if you were going to put the chicks in and see what kind of temps you maintain.

That is a great idea about a dry run, why the heck didn't I think of that? I ordered a premier heat plate brooder and am looking forward to giving it a try, thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom