Brooding Coturnix Quail: Heat em up! (Ah. But how?)

What method do you use/think is best?

• Heat Lamp

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Heat Mat (ground)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heat Mat/Wire Set-up (MHP)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Brooder Plate

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Other: Specify below!

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
I'm in the heat lamp but use a reptile bulb camp. You can adjust the temperature by raising the lamp and it's easy to have a warm and cool side to your brooder. I keep thermometers at both ends so I can see what the temps are. The chicks will tell you if they're comfortable.

If they're all huddled under the heat and climbing all over each other, they're cold. If they keep out of the heat or they're stretched out and panting, they're hot.

Hm... I still am unsure about what to do hahaha

Grab a clamp lamp (like Kiki suggested), stick a bulb in it, put a thermometer underneath. Check the temperature a few times over the next two days.
Quick and easy, especially if you already have the lamp.

You have enough days to test it and THEN order a different product if you need to. But if it works, then you're all set.

As a beginner I found a ceramic heat lamp for reptiles to be perfect. It was easy to adjust the temperature by moving the stand up and down, and I was glad I decided against a plate or cave as I could always see what the chicks were up to. I could also easily judge if they were the right temperature by where they were sitting in relation to the centre of the lamp, and not emitting light kept them on a natural day/night cycle.
X2

Hello! I am trying to make a decision on what is best to buy for my current situation. In 12 days, I will have an 1-30 little quailings hatching from their eggs. It is the midwest and getting chillier. The first brooder will be inside until they are older. I am really uncertain about what to get as a heat source for these little guys. I have heard many things. "Lamp is best!" "Plate is better!" "MHP WINS!!" And so on and so forth. I know all of you probably have strong opinions, so please share so I can get as much information as possible so I can make a decision! Thank you!
~~ JoyLime
I am in the Philippines and it gets really hot in the day time, but trust me, brooding quails still really need a heat source. I bought a heater online, same principle of putting a fan behind an incandescent bulb, then I just put a red 5watt E14 light bulb to relax them, over the past few weeks, I've been constantly changing brooder types, styles, and designs, and the best tip I'd be able to give is to make sure you give them an ample amount of space in the brooder, where in they'll adjust based on their current need. I've also put in a space with sheet metal and dry sand for a dust bath to make sure that they'll be able to dry off in case they get wet from their drinker.

Attachments

• IMG_20210327_001841.jpg
    IMG_20210327_001841.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210327_001834.jpg
    IMG_20210327_001834.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 6
I am in the Philippines and it gets really hot in the day time, but trust me, brooding quails still really need a heat source. I bought a heater online, same principle of putting a fan behind an incandescent bulb, then I just put a red 5watt E14 light bulb to relax them, over the past few weeks, I've been constantly changing brooder types, styles, and designs, and the best tip I'd be able to give is to make sure you give them an ample amount of space in the brooder, where in they'll adjust based on their current need. I've also put in a space with sheet metal and dry sand for a dust bath to make sure that they'll be able to dry off in case they get wet from their drinker.
I live in the Philippines when not Covid! So I certainly know how hot it can be! Its interesting that they still need warmth even during Hot season! Your set up is really cool. Thanks for the pictures!

I use a reptile heat element in a large heat lamp reflector. I find my quail to be real heat lovers. They like 104f for the first few days, then I gradually reduce it down to 94, then only turn on often enough to keep it between 84 and 87 by end week 2. We are on our second hatch of coturnix quail. It’s working so far, but I’m going to look for one on a thermosta.

I am using both. I always worry about strays and just in case someone gets lost, there is a heating plate ready at the other end of the brooder. It also comes in handy when I am cleaning them up. I shoo them under the heating plate and can easily clean their area without having to remove the chicks.

My brooder has 2 spaces, 1 for when they are younger, 1/8 inch wire mesh and another with 1/4 inch wire mesh, that is separated by a plywood that I can pull out to remove the divider. Whenever we clean the brooder, depending on their age, we just move them from 1 part to the other. 10 to 12 day old chicks are okay with the quarter inch, but they can still get injured when they fall in, so I try no to keep them there for a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_151837.jpg
    IMG_20210328_151837.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210328_151832.jpg
    IMG_20210328_151832.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210328_151824.jpg
    IMG_20210328_151824.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210328_151813.jpg
    IMG_20210328_151813.jpg