Brooding Coturnix Quail: Heat em up! (Ah. But how?)

What method do you use/think is best?

• Heat Lamp

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Heat Mat (ground)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heat Mat/Wire Set-up (MHP)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Brooder Plate

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Other: Specify below!

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Joylime322

Songster
Aug 27, 2020
Hello! I am trying to make a decision on what is best to buy for my current situation. In 12 days, I will have an 1-30 little quailings hatching from their eggs. It is the midwest and getting chillier. The first brooder will be inside until they are older. I am really uncertain about what to get as a heat source for these little guys. I have heard many things. "Lamp is best!" "Plate is better!" "MHP WINS!!" And so on and so forth. I know all of you probably have strong opinions, so please share so I can get as much information as possible so I can make a decision! Thank you!
~~ JoyLime

I've used both heat lamps and this heat plate here. The plate is super nice because it gets them into a day/night cycle right away and they sleep at night. Well... The first couple days they seem to chirp all the time no matter what lol but with the plate they eventually are quiet at night.

The downside is it can be hard to see under there. I have to pick it up to make sure everyone is doing alright. My last batch had 17 chicks and they fit with room but it was hard to see around them. The lamp is nice because you can always see them but I don't enjoy hearing the constant chirping at night. I do brood inside all the time, I have no outlets outside at this time.

Overall I've enjoyed the plate more. I only use my lamp if the plate is already in use as I only have one. Would like to get a larger version as I keep increasing my hatchings over time.
I put security cameras facing into the brooder looking under the plate at table level. I have an app on my phone I can watch them thru.

As a beginner I found a ceramic heat lamp for reptiles to be perfect. It was easy to adjust the temperature by moving the stand up and down, and I was glad I decided against a plate or cave as I could always see what the chicks were up to. I could also easily judge if they were the right temperature by where they were sitting in relation to the centre of the lamp, and not emitting light kept them on a natural day/night cycle.

I've used both heat lamps and this heat plate here. The plate is super nice because it gets them into a day/night cycle right away and they sleep at night. Well... The first couple days they seem to chirp all the time no matter what lol but with the plate they eventually are quiet at night.

The downside is it can be hard to see under there. I have to pick it up to make sure everyone is doing alright. My last batch had 17 chicks and they fit with room but it was hard to see around them. The lamp is nice because you can always see them but I don't enjoy hearing the constant chirping at night. I do brood inside all the time, I have no outlets outside at this time.

Overall I've enjoyed the plate more. I only use my lamp if the plate is already in use as I only have one. Would like to get a larger version as I keep increasing my hatchings over time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200917-080431(1).png
    Screenshot_20200917-080431(1).png
    341.5 KB · Views: 9
I use a reptile heat lamp. It has all of the adjustable temperature advantage of a regular heat lamp without the light so they chicks get regular day/night cycles.

I don't like the idea of a place where I can't see all of the chicks. They can be incredibly suicidal during those first few days.

I am really uncertain about what to get as a heat source for these little guys. I have heard many things. "Lamp is best!" "Plate is better!" "MHP WINS!!" And so on and so forth.

If you use a heat lamp or anything else that heats a large area: do be sure the brooder is large enough that they can get away from the heat, too.

When people use a big heat lamp bulb over a plastic bin, the whole space gets hot. Larger brooders, especially with some wire sides for airflow, have less trouble with this.

For small spaces, sometimes a simple incandescent light bulb is enough--they give off heat too, but less than the bigger heat lamp bulbs. (CFL and LED kinds stay cooler, so not a good heat source.)

(Disclaimer: I have no quail experience, just chicken experience, but I think this particular information applies to both species. I always have used heat lamps.)

I use a heat lamp but to be honest i feel a brooder plate more like a real warm mum lot safer and they can snuggle underneath if cold if that helps? Xx

I have mine set up with two heat lamps, one for safety in case the first one dies. I like the lamps because I can tell if they’re working or not.

I used a lamp bc I didn't know any alternatives at the time. Fine during the day, but the chicks needed dark at night. They cried and chirped all night every night until I could move them outside (it was hotter outside than in my house). I swear they never slept... And neither did I... If I were to do it all over again, I would try a heat pad cave.

I'm in the heat lamp but use a reptile bulb camp. You can adjust the temperature by raising the lamp and it's easy to have a warm and cool side to your brooder. I keep thermometers at both ends so I can see what the temps are. The chicks will tell you if they're comfortable.

If they're all huddled under the heat and climbing all over each other, they're cold. If they keep out of the heat or they're stretched out and panting, they're hot.

Back
Top Bottom