Quail chicks! Help its an emergency!

janit

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2023
Hello all! I am new here, I have had chickens for ages with no problems now I just hatched out quail eggs, they are 4 days old and keep dropping dead!

So, I purchased 18 eggs on kijiji. Post service played hockey with them, three eggs were cracked/chipped and another 4 were non viable on day 5 candlings. I ended up with 7 that hatched. I figured it was my el cheapo incubators fault, humidity was wonky during lockdown, going between 65 and 90. About 24-36 hours they were dry and fluffy so I transferred them to pre heated brooder. Its a cardboard box, as I thought my chicken brooder was just too big for the tiny little things. They are in my bathroom, heated to 27. I brood chickens in the bathroom too- its cat free and I can keep the ambiant temp up. Everything in the brooder was sanitized and clean with hot water and soap, well rinsed, dried and then sprayed with hydrogen peroxide and air dried before use. Bedding is paper shop towels, I change it twice a day. Feed is turkey starter (all I could get in my little town) I put it in the blender so its almost dust. I put 1/2 tsp ACV in 500ml water, change the quail waterer twice a day. Everything is clean. I observe chicks eating, drinking, popping. Running around, seem normal and happy. They are not piling up or avoiding the heat. Their brooder is off the ground on a styrofoam pad. I use a small animal heat pad AND a hover plate brooder on the lowest level, it is on an angle so they can have temp differences. They are 4 days old today. Unlike my chickens they seem to sleep lying on their sides. Which i think is odd, but I read is normal for quail? I also see them standing towards the front during the day and stretching up to touch the heat plate instead of moving to the back where they can not have to reach up? First morning, I woke up there was one dead. I did not think much of it, that chick I thought was a little gimpy. Yesterday 2 more, one had trapped itself under the paper towel. I fixed that. Couldn't explain the other one. This morning another two dead! NO IDEA WHY... no mucky bums, they appear to be eating, drinking, pooping and growing. I have NEVER lost a chicken chick ever! How can I mess up and loose 4 quail in as many days? What am I doing wrong? Is the bottom heat pad and the overhead brooder heat plate too much heat? HELP please I really don't want to loose any more and need to sort out what I am doing wrong before I order more eggs. From a different seller in case there is genetic trouble? I did ask for all jumbo pharaoh, ended up with two yellow chicks with stripped backs. Seller said "that sometimes happens they grow as big as the jumbos". Ironically, those two which I slated for cull have actually survived. But I am really worried as I thought after the first three days losses would stop and here on the morning of day 4 my 7 chicks are down the three. Its heartbreaking, please tell me what I am doing wrong!

First, get rid of the heat pad and heat plate. The heat pad can cause chicks to overheat or even lose their toes. Getting rid of the heat plate will make sure that you can see the chicks.

While quail chicks will sleep on their sides, it's not all the time. If they are sleeping stretched out on their sides all the time, it sounds like they're too hot. What is the temperature at the warm end of the brooder and at the cold end?

The ones that crawled under the paper towel and died were fairly typical. Quail chicks are very good at finding dumb ways to die.

The turkey starter is just fine for them.

So they shoud have no heat source in their brooder? Their toes look fine, and it is a small animal heating pad just warm to my touch. The brooder plate above is about the same temp. I will put my sensor in each end and get back to you... but they don't look to be panting or clustered together, sluggish etc like chicken chicks would be if they are too hot or cold?

So they shoud have no heat source in their brooder? Their toes look fine, and it is a small animal heating pad just warm to my touch. The brooder plate above is about the same temp. I will put my sensor in each end and get back to you... but they don't look to be panting or clustered together, sluggish etc like chicken chicks would be if they are too hot or cold?
They should have a heat lamp. That way you can see the chicks and adjust the heat accordingly.

The chicks will huddle if they're cold, they'll spread out and lay on their sides a lot if they're hot.

ok I don't own a heat lamp anymore due to an almost fire a few years ago. Looks like I should get one at the farm store tomorrow. For now I just took out the bottom pad and so they just have to top plate now and they can go to the back to get more warm and to the front for less as it is on an angle. The other half of the brooder is just ambient room temp where their food and water is. Other then sleeping on their sides most of the time, their behavior seems normal for chicks? Running around, eating, drinking, pooping. I do notice today with only three left I haven't heard any loud distress chirping at all? It seemed to be quite regular up until today, they even woke me the other day at 4am, that is when I found jr under the paper towel.

It is possible that they just failed to thrive, but usually you don't get that many. Keep us posted on how they do for the rest of the day and tomorrow.

Maybe take a video and post it to YouTube and give us the link?

ok so its 92 under the heat plate,likely warmer if you touch it as the sensor is on the ground about an inch below it. The other side of the brooder where the water is is 78. The three left are not clustering and seem to be as always going out to eat drink poop and then going back under. I don't see sleepy/tired behavior yet, middle of the day so nobody is lying on their sides.

Your remaining three seem comfortable, then. Two failing to thrive is not out of the range of possibility, and losing two to accident is understandable since it's your first time raising chicks. It sounds like your environment is good as far as I can tell.

Thank you I just checked again and they still seem quiet and active. I have raised countless chickens before in the same way, never EVER lost one save a few that obviously had issues at hatch! I never expected quail to be so difficult! I am still not confident, but maybe it was overheating? Baby chickens never had issues with the extra bottom heat their first week, what I do is take it away after a week and then start raising the heat plate as they grow every 10 days or so. I take it out (the brinsea brooder plate) when they feather and then start lowering room temp every week until they are big enough to go outside. Never EVER lost a chick to temperature issues! I want to order more eggs from a different seller, as long as I have sorted out how NOT to kill the chicks! Crossing fingers there are no more losses overnight. BTW the losses were ALWAYS at night and they always looked fine when I night check everyone around 10pm.

Thank you I just checked again and they still seem quiet and active. I have raised countless chickens before in the same way, never EVER lost one save a few that obviously had issues at hatch! I never expected quail to be so difficult! I am still not confident, but maybe it was overheating? Baby chickens never had issues with the extra bottom heat their first week, what I do is take it away after a week and then start raising the heat plate as they grow every 10 days or so. I take it out (the brinsea brooder plate) when they feather and then start lowering room temp every week until they are big enough to go outside. Never EVER lost a chick to temperature issues! I want to order more eggs from a different seller, as long as I have sorted out how NOT to kill the chicks! Crossing fingers there are no more losses overnight. BTW the losses were ALWAYS at night and they always looked fine when I night check everyone around 10pm.
It might have been overheating because once they fall asleep they may not have had the sense to move away from the heat. Were they stretched out when you found them? That's often the case when they overheat.

Back
Top Bottom