Baby Quail being a bully ⚠️ EMERGENCY PLS HELP⚠️

I have two baby quail, one being 3 days old and the other only 1 day old. I integrated them slowly, putting them in front of each other with a clear barrier in-between, letting them run around in my room together, etc. They are very similar in size and both imprinted on me.

The older quail, Pancake, has never seen another baby quail before. They were part of the same batch but hatched on different days.

When I introduced Pancake to baby Muffin, she ran at her straight away and started pecking her. She keeps going for her eyes and I don't know what to do as I have no alternative heat source.

What can I do to properly integrate them? I've had babies a week apart in age integrate with no problems, so I'm not sure what's happening here.
I keep chick in the complete darkness of the red light until gaining the capability to warm themselves 3-4 weeks old before I send them outdoors…

The other thing that occurs to me is whether they have enough space. My quails will turn into murder quails if they don't feel they have enough space. I am glad they are starting to get along. They are such pretty little birds, with a tiny monster inside that sometimes pops out when you least expect it. Lovely photo of them foraging together! Good work!

I keep chick in the complete darkness of the red light until gaining the capability to warm themselves 3-4 weeks old before I send them outdoors…
I keep mine mostly with a heater but sometimes let them run around my room. It's the middle of summer here and temperatures reach 40 degrees Celsius, I don't have air conditioning so it ends up at about 35 degrees during the day.

I never keep my birds outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom