Tucson winters & Quail

YWoody

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
I have a question for you helpful folks... @Nabiki, @007Sean, @Patiocoturnix, @CliftonQuail and ANYONE of you helpful folks who has experience in this part of the country. This will be my quail's first winter; and since my quail are outside in an on-the-ground aviary, at what point (temperature, weather, etc.) this winter should I consider providing them heat or covering a portion of the aviary. The local breeder that I've spoken to doesnt take any measures and his position is that here in Tucson, AZ you do not need to take any measures. However, he has MANY quail & they are not like pets for him.
Here in Tucson it does get below freezing on at least a few winter days and we have had to deal with frozen pipes & frozen patio fountain on occaision. I plan to insulate their water system pipes to avoid frozen water source, but I think they will sometimes need a heat source too. Any suggestions?
The only thing I currently have on hand is the warming plate that I used in the -brooder, it's only about 1 square foot in size. If set up in aviary at the highest level (thats approx 7-8 inches high); do you think it will be adequate for my 4 hens?

I have a question for you helpful folks... @Nabiki, @007Sean, @Patiocoturnix, @CliftonQuail and ANYONE of you helpful folks who has experience in this part of the country. This will be my quail's first winter; and since my quail are outside in an on-the-ground aviary, at what point (temperature, weather, etc.) this winter should I consider providing them heat or covering a portion of the aviary. The local breeder that I've spoken to doesnt take any measures and his position is that here in Tucson, AZ you do not need to take any measures. However, he has MANY quail & they are not like pets for him.
Here in Tucson it does get below freezing on at least a few winter days and we have had to deal with frozen pipes & frozen patio fountain on occaision. I plan to insulate their water system pipes to avoid frozen water source, but I think they will sometimes need a heat source too. Any suggestions?
The only thing I currently have on hand is the warming plate that I used in the -brooder, it's only about 1 square foot in size. If set up in aviary at the highest level (thats approx 7-8 inches high); do you think it will be adequate for my 4 hens?
I have no idea about anything to do with quail and winter I live in Florida where the lowest it gets is maybe the 40s like 2 days a year

Coturnix quail can handle below freezing temperatures quite well. The only caveats are:
1 - they need to be dry
2 - they need to be out of the wind
3 - they need to be able to keep their feet warm, so they need to be off of wire.

I give mine cardboard boxes with a pair of entrances cut into them. Two or three quail cuddle into one of those and their body heat warms it up quite nicely. Their pens are in my greenhouse, so they're out of the wind, rain, and snow, but it does get quite cold in there at night.

Coturnix quail can handle below freezing temperatures quite well. The only caveats are:
1 - they need to be dry
2 - they need to be out of the wind
3 - they need to be able to keep their feet warm, so they need to be off of wire.

I give mine cardboard boxes with a pair of entrances cut into them. Two or three quail cuddle into one of those and their body heat warms it up quite nicely. Their pens are in my greenhouse, so they're out of the wind, rain, and snow, but it does get quite cold in there at night.
Great info!! Thank you! That helps a lot! :thumbsup What a great idea to have them inside a greenhouse!

These are coturnix quail? I live in Ontario (we get temps below 0F) and I only do the following
  • put some plastic barriers around the sides of the coop. The coop ends up more-or-less covered. Wind is the biggest thing really, but where the coop is in my yard is quite sheltered anyway.
  • provide them with some straw/leaves. Last year I put half a bale of hay down just to give them something to burrow their feet in, but I keep my quail on dirt so not sure how this works if yours are on wire.
  • an immersion style water heater. These are basically like bird bath heaters. I use buckets as waterers with horizontal nipples. The heater is usually enough to keep them unfrozen but sometimes water does freeze on the nipple itself so it does need attention. But usually I don't plug the heaters in until daytime temps are below 5C (40F). Water in the buckets won't freeze if temps only briefly dip below freezing.
I don't provide them any heat. They will usually huddle together, especially at night.

I actually also don't usually put up the plastic (or any winterising steps) until after temps dip below 40F during the day, but my yard is pretty sheltered, the coop has a roof, and there are a few stumps and stuff they can hide in as well to get out of the wind. Quail are pretty hardy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom