Too hot to gather & eat eggs?

YWoody

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
Hello to all of you helpful quail loving folks. :frow
I'm so appreciative of all the great advice I've received, it's been so valuable to me and my little flock to have this forum. ❤️
We have been having a heat wave here in Tucson AZ! And I mean HOT! 108-110 degrees; breaking 100 degrees by 10am and not getting below 100 until 8:00pm most days. I saw this coming early on when it stated to get hot and the Old Farmer's Almanac said a really hot summer for us (they weren't kidding!).
So, with the suggestions from many of you helpful folks, back in June, I set my quail up for success...
They have ample shade, constant cool water (gravity fed from shaded source) & now they have a small mister and a fan that turns on automatically at 10am and off at 7pm. This system brings the temp in my on ground aviary down by 10 degrees :) I've also been placing a couple frozen liter water bottles in the aviary. My 5 hen flock is doing fine and despite the heat, I get 5 eggs every day without fail. :yesss:

My question for today is this...
Could it be too hot to safely harvest my eggs? I have been doing it & eating them daily & not suffered any consequences to this point, but there are some days when I don't gather eggs until end of day, like 7pm, and the eggs have been in 100+ weather all day. My hens have 2 places in the aviary where they all lay their eggs, little depressions in the soil between the grass plants, so the eggs are never in blazing sun, but often warm to the touch. What do you guys think?

I've been gathering mine a day late sometimes too, and I'm in a part of the world with comparable temps right now. To no ill effect...yet. I figure with the bloom on and the eggs being days and not weeks old, and if you plan to eat them soon, the chance of something nasty breaching the shell and incubating inside over a day or so isn't that high. With the heat, you're more likely to find eggs that have dehydrated a bit, with air cells larger than you'd expect for their lay date. My two cents.

I'm so appreciative of all the great advice I've received, it's been so valuable to me and my little flock to have this forum. ❤️
We have been having a heat wave here in Tucson AZ! And I mean HOT! 108-110 degrees; breaking 100 degrees by 10am and not getting below 100 until 8:00pm most days. I saw this coming early on when it stated to get hot and the Old Farmer's Almanac said a really hot summer for us (they weren't kidding!).
So, with the suggestions from many of you helpful folks, back in June, I set my quail up for success...
They have ample shade, constant cool water (gravity fed from shaded source) & now they have a small mister and a fan that turns on automatically at 10am and off at 7pm. This system brings the temp in my on ground aviary down by 10 degrees :) I've also been placing a couple frozen liter water bottles in the aviary. My 5 hen flock is doing fine and despite the heat, I get 5 eggs every day without fail. :yesss:

Could it be too hot to safely harvest my eggs? I have been doing it & eating them daily & not suffered any consequences to this point, but there are some days when I don't gather eggs until end of day, like 7pm, and the eggs have been in 100+ weather all day. My hens have 2 places in the aviary where they all lay their eggs, little depressions in the soil between the grass plants, so the eggs are never in blazing sun, but often warm to the touch. What do you guys think?
Gather them at night, and they should be fine. Coturnix usually lay their eggs in afternoon/evening, so there should be no problem if you're gathering them every day. If you skip, they may begin to develop in the heat, but should still be fine as long as you're not skipping more than a day or two.

Gather them at night, and they should be fine. Coturnix usually lay their eggs in afternoon/evening, so there should be no problem if you're gathering them every day. If you skip, they may begin to develop in the heat, but should still be fine as long as you're not skipping more than a day or two.
Thank you Nabiki,
I feel better now, as I have been gathering them in the evening & every evening.
❤️

Hey, Im up the road in casa grande...the sh*thole of AZ. I posted up a couple videos to save some chickens lives. I lost one at 10am a couple weeks ago but not sure if it was heat related...she was only 11 months old. I lost another rooster last week but he was pretty old, had seizures when it rained and got cold and had a stroke so I kept him in my bathroom for the last couple of weeks. When it hit 119 I lost six chickens cuz I had to go to my vet in Nogales and was gone all day. Now I only work at night and watch over my kids during the day. I water them once or twice a day...at 11am and 2 pm. If the storm clouds are out then I can usually skip the later if the ground is still moist. I have chickens, ducks and geese and they live in four different places..those chose their home I didnt. I do have most of the hens in a pen but its a pen where they can get out if they want to. It seems the roosters want to get in rather than the hens getting out. Follow these direction and you animals should be fine. Make sure they can keep their feet wet at all times. Keep the ground wet or damp so they can scratch. Put in a kiddie pool or better yet a turtle sandbox. They will last a decade. Only fill with water up to two inches. They are not ducks and only want their feet wet. If you see any chicken in any distress bring them inside immediately. It could take up to two weeks for them to recover or if they will not make it. Here are the two videos I made of just two groups of the chickens and ducks. Please let me know if it helps. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJPF4-I5p_hjLHEiRpprvQ

I forgot to add that fireants are going nuts this year. Ive talked to people that have lost all their chickens to them. I tried diatomeous earth like I do every year but its not doing anything at all. I got some boric acid that is only slightly toxic to them and there were less ants. You have to check them in the early morning or late evening. I had over 2,000 bites last year and already this year its close to 1,000 but unless its on my feet I barely notice them anymore but I still have the blisters. Also use the boric acid that comes with bait so they take it to their queen. I also bought four boxes of 20 mule laundry detergent and a 10 lb bag of sugar to lure them to it. I havent used it yet because of using the boric acid first. As for the eggs...I used to just feed them back to the chickens cuz by 11am I thought they were rotten. But I realized they are just partially hard boiled. One of my ducks was hiding their eggs and I found 14 last night and my heart stopped. I do not need anymore ducks. I candled them with my phone and they were partially cooked so I put them in the airfryer and finished cooking them. If you candle them and see weird stuff floating inside then it partially cooked and fine to eat. I did find three eggs with chicks forming inside the house. One chicken waits by the door for me to open it and runs inside. Trust me trying to catch her is too much in this heat so she lays her eggs and I just get them...but I forgot. Im leaving them there to see if they keep forming or dont make it. Let me know how it goes...remember Im only an hour away so I know how it is...its even hotter in CG than Tucson...but Im also in the desert not in town. I dont know if you can see my other posts but I put up some pics of my duck with sunburned feet. That can also happen with ducks and probably geese as well...I didnt know that.

Back
Top Bottom