Found one of my coturnix hens dead...

YWoody

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
Hello folks...I’m hoping for some input & feedback regarding death of one of my quail. I came home from work yesterday to find one of my coturnix hens lying dead on aviary floor. Everything in aviary was perfect; water system clean & functional, feed dry and fresh. Plenty of shade; and the other hens are all fine. I observed all 5 of them that morning and they were all doing fine. The only thing that is different lately is that they are molting for the 1st time; and aside from being just a bit more skiddish, they seem to be going through the molt just fine.

After finding her I thoroughly examined her body and looked her over from beak to toe… she was not wounded or pecked on, her beak was not open and there was no sign of any fluids or secretions at her head or vent. She was beautiful and clean, no sign of insects. She was not egg bound and her crop seemed soft.:idunno

It’s so sad; 😥 the only thing I can assume is that she might have been scared by a predator and flushed up, breaking her neck. A similar thing occurred this summer with another of my hens, who suffered a serious head injury, but she eventually (and miraculously) survived after a week in “quail hospital” and due to the wonderful advice and feedback from many of you knowledgeable folks who helped me!.... thank you @Nabiki, @007Sean, @CliftonQuail, and @Patiocoturnix. ❤️ :thumbsup

I’ve put hardware cloth over my back wrought iron fence which seems to have kept the bobcats out, however, I’ve noticed a couple times, there is a Red Tailed Hawk who is very interested in my aviary and I’ve caught hanging around when my dogs are inside.

Only 1/3 of the aviary has a hard roof and it is less than 2 feet high (as they suggest) but they still manage to fly up and bonk their heads on that side. I’m wondering what material would be safe for the hens, that I could put over the wood on that side? And I’m wondering if there are any measures I can take to deter the Hawk from hanging around?

Hello folks...I’m hoping for some input & feedback regarding death of one of my quail. I came home from work yesterday to find one of my coturnix hens lying dead on aviary floor. Everything in aviary was perfect; water system clean & functional, feed dry and fresh. Plenty of shade; and the other hens are all fine. I observed all 5 of them that morning and they were all doing fine. The only thing that is different lately is that they are molting for the 1st time; and aside from being just a bit more skiddish, they seem to be going through the molt just fine.

After finding her I thoroughly examined her body and looked her over from beak to toe… she was not wounded or pecked on, her beak was not open and there was no sign of any fluids or secretions at her head or vent. She was beautiful and clean, no sign of insects. She was not egg bound and her crop seemed soft.:idunno

It’s so sad; 😥 the only thing I can assume is that she might have been scared by a predator and flushed up, breaking her neck. A similar thing occurred this summer with another of my hens, who suffered a serious head injury, but she eventually (and miraculously) survived after a week in “quail hospital” and due to the wonderful advice and feedback from many of you knowledgeable folks who helped me!.... thank you @Nabiki, @007Sean, @CliftonQuail, and @Patiocoturnix. ❤️ :thumbsup

I’ve put hardware cloth over my back wrought iron fence which seems to have kept the bobcats out, however, I’ve noticed a couple times, there is a Red Tailed Hawk who is very interested in my aviary and I’ve caught hanging around when my dogs are inside.

Only 1/3 of the aviary has a hard roof and it is less than 2 feet high (as they suggest) but they still manage to fly up and bonk their heads on that side. I’m wondering what material would be safe for the hens, that I could put over the wood on that side? And I’m wondering if there are any measures I can take to deter the Hawk from hanging around?
I’m so sorry about your hen :hugs I’m glad your other one is still doing good.

Is there anyway you have pics of her?
None of your other birds are showing symptoms of anything?
Could she have eaten something that blocked her up?

It does kinda sound like flushing with the no injuries like you said but the more info the better.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry about your hen :hugs I’m glad your other one is still doing good.

Is there anyway you have pics of her?
None of your other birds are showing symptoms of anything?
Could she have eaten something that blocked her up?

It does kinda sound like flushing with the no injuries like you said but the more info the better.
Thank you, no I did not take any pics of her unfortunately. So far, the other 4 hens are all acting perfectly fine. I have been out there a lot today observing them and all is well. 🤞🙏
I cant think what she could have eaten that could block her up :idunno
Unless they would eat their own feathers???
I AM having a hard time keeping the aviary free of feathers since they have been moulting, I clean it out every evening but there are tons of fealthers every time. Would they eat feathers?

Thank you, no I did not take any pics of her unfortunately. So far, the other 4 hens are all acting perfectly fine. I have been out there a lot today observing them and all is well. 🤞🙏
I cant think what she could have eaten that could block her up :idunno
Unless they would eat their own feathers???
I AM having a hard time keeping the aviary free of feathers since they have been moulting, I clean it out every evening but there are tons of fealthers every time. Would they eat feathers?
I think they might eat feathers but probably not enough to kill them.
I was going to ask how old your feed is but since the others aren’t showing signs I wouldn’t think the food is moldy.
Is there any standing water in your aviary anywhere?
I’m assuming flushing at this moment but I would wait until some of the more knowledgeable people chime in for a full conclusion it’s just what it sounds like to me

Sounds like she did flush, if you still have access to her, you could carefully remove the skin around her neck and look for hemorrhaging at the site of the fracture.

You might try egg crate foam on the top, usually available in 3" thickness and variable lengths and widths.

I think that your guess on getting spooked and flushing into something is probably what happened. I had a bird once that flushed sideways instead of up and hit one of the pen supports. I am only guessing of course. Without a necropsy you'll probably never know.
Thank you!
Sounds like she did flush, if you still have access to her, you could carefully remove the skin around her neck and look for hemorrhaging at the site of the fracture.

You might try egg crate foam on the top, usually available in 3" thickness and variable lengths and widths.
I don not have access to her body anymore. I have thought about putting foam on the wood ceiling portion, but I worry about them pecking at it and eating it ?? Especially here in Tucson, it would dry out and deteriorate rather quickly in this climate. Have any of you guys tried that?

Sorry for your loss. Was her head floppy on her neck when you picked her up? That seems to be common with the birds I suspect of flushing into something and dying.
I haven't put anything on the ceiling of my cages, but foam sounds like a good idea. If they can reach the roof to peck at the foam, I wouldn't think it'd be high enough for them to injure themselves by flushing.

Thank you!

I don not have access to her body anymore. I have thought about putting foam on the wood ceiling portion, but I worry about them pecking at it and eating it ?? Especially here in Tucson, it would dry out and deteriorate rather quickly in this climate. Have any of you guys tried that?
I have not tried it but it would most likely be a reliable cushion. My enclosures are either 7 ft. or 16 inches for my above ground pens/cage. I have a corrugated steel roof on my above ground pens and I have never had a problem with them 'breaking' their neck.

if you can hang a sheet like material that when left will droop slightly but when pressed up will not touch the top then you are good to go. as long as it doesnt hold tension the sheet will catch instead of bounce

Back
Top Bottom