Housing coturnix hens with one California roo

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
Hello and good afternoon from Italy, Im planning on possibly getting a California quail roo and I'm wondering if he could be housed with 3 other smaller coturnix hens. I have them in a large aviary with many places to hide and they have a large pond so they wouldn't be fighting over food. Can the California quail roo be with the females or would he bully them or visversa? I'm also planning on finding a female for him and breeding them in a separate breeding pen I'm building next summer, but would he breed with the hens or not? A y advice is very appreciated and I will put a photo of my aviary below.

PXL_20230707_184236798.jpg

He may try to breed with them but it won't produce fertile eggs! Old World quail, (Coturnix) are a different species from New World quail, (Bobwhites, Blues, Gambles, Valley's, Mountain and Mearns quail). They will not interbreed and produce chicks.

I got him yesterday afternoon and he is doing amazing. He was flying around a bit crazy and was hurting himself so I had to clip his primary feathers and now he just low flys safety. He was really interested in the Zebra Finch babies!
PXL_20230709_153157518.jpg

Back
Top Bottom