Quail chicks! Help its an emergency!

jumbo coturnix, I ordered pharaoh but ended up with 2 yellow chicks with brown stripes. When I asked my seller, the reply was "that sometimes happens, they end up as big as the brown ones". So now I am looking for another vendor for round 2. I paid for 18 eggs, about half broken in shipping and non viable. Taking that into account, I had over 80% hatch rate which I am happy with as long as I was just kiling them with kindness. Though I still feel like crap about it. Finding quail here let alone jumbo pharaoh coturnix here is kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack here in quebec! I found a local girl, el cheapo eggs at $4/dozen but she doesn't even know what her birds ARE. Well so maybe I try them and see?

jumbo coturnix, I ordered pharaoh but ended up with 2 yellow chicks with brown stripes. When I asked my seller, the reply was "that sometimes happens, they end up as big as the brown ones". So now I am looking for another vendor for round 2. I paid for 18 eggs, about half broken in shipping and non viable. Taking that into account, I had over 80% hatch rate which I am happy with as long as I was just kiling them with kindness. Though I still feel like crap about it. Finding quail here let alone jumbo pharaoh coturnix here is kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack here in quebec! I found a local girl, el cheapo eggs at $4/dozen but she doesn't even know what her birds ARE. Well so maybe I try them and see?
Where in the world are you? If in the U.S. there are several reputable egg sellers.

Quebec, Canada... almost impossible to import fert eggs here... I know because last spring I imported very endangered chicken eggs, the hoops and expense was crazy!
Where in the world are you? If in the U.S. there are several reputable egg sellers.

Quebec, Canada... almost impossible to import fert eggs here... I know because last spring I imported very endangered chicken eggs, the hoops and expense was crazy!
Would you be able to drive down to the US and pick some up? I'm not familiar with international law in this regard (aside from, iirc, needing NPIP certification), but I know there's several farms in the northeast US which have good reputations. Maine Confetti Quail comes to mind, but I'm sure there are several other good options as well.

Doing a quick Google search looks like there's some farms in Canada, but for obvious reasons I don't know which ones have a decent reputation.

Yes, most the the google places I messaged don't ship or don't have jumbo pharaoh. I have heard good things about breezy bird farm, but I have to wait until spring as its far too cold atm to ship eggs. I could get easy to vermont, but I am pretty sure if I got caught bringing back eggs there would be a challenge. I have tried some of the good reputation places in the USA but they won't ship to Canada at any cost. I would give my left arm for myshire farms eggs! I think he is a great honest guy and very careful breeder. Lol anyone willing to try to ship for me unmarked? tee hee

Yes, most the the google places I messaged don't ship or don't have jumbo pharaoh. I have heard good things about breezy bird farm, but I have to wait until spring as its far too cold atm to ship eggs. I could get easy to vermont, but I am pretty sure if I got caught bringing back eggs there would be a challenge. I have tried some of the good reputation places in the USA but they won't ship to Canada at any cost. I would give my left arm for myshire farms eggs! I think he is a great honest guy and very careful breeder. Lol anyone willing to try to ship for me unmarked? tee hee
Oof, a lot of difficulties there. Out of curiosity, why jumbo pharoahs?

jumbos because i like bigger eggs/birds/dogs/chickens/rabbits lol same amount of work, more meat/egg. Pharoah no particular reason just feather sexable for my kids. Bigger animals are easier for small kids too. Generally in my experience the larger the animal the more likely that are to be mellow.
Oof, a lot of difficulties there. Out of curiosity, why jumbo pharoahs?
ke

The quail seem to be doing fine. However I have one that doesn't seem to be growing at the same rate. He seems to run around, eat and poop the same... but he is at least a week behind in growth and a few days behind... he is just starting to sprout pin feathers and the others already have fully formed feathers prety much everywhere at 9 days old. Anything else I can do for him? Each morning I take him out and feed him about a tsp of boiled mashed egg. He likes it and eats it greedily then goes back to his siblings and continues eating the crumble.

The quail seem to be doing fine. However I have one that doesn't seem to be growing at the same rate. He seems to run around, eat and poop the same... but he is at least a week behind in growth and a few days behind... he is just starting to sprout pin feathers and the others already have fully formed feathers prety much everywhere at 9 days old. Anything else I can do for him? Each morning I take him out and feed him about a tsp of boiled mashed egg. He likes it and eats it greedily then goes back to his siblings and continues eating the crumble.
I would stop feeding it an egg each day. It needs the high protein in the gamebird feed.

I would stop feeding him the egg. Sometimes you get one that doesn't grow as much as the others. It might never get as big as the others, but will probably catch up in development over the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom