Newbie to quail hatching and would appreciate some advice 😊

Emilychick

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
This is my 1st time with quail eggs in the incubator and I'm a bit nervous and need a bit of advice please! They are button/king quail started with 24 and 20 have made it so far to day 10 😊

I have Allen & Page smallholder range chick crumb from previous hatch of bantams, it is 17% protein, is this OK for quail chicks? I know I would need to crush it. Do I need to supplement anything with it?

Also I've read alot of conflicting advice on best heat source for quails, they will be indoors for upto 7/8 weeks is my current brooding heat pad ok for them? I am not keen on heat lamps in the house due to having young children but if needs must I will figure something out.

Thank you in advance 🤞

This is my 1st time with quail eggs in the incubator and I'm a bit nervous and need a bit of advice please! They are button/king quail started with 24 and 20 have made it so far to day 10 😊

I have Allen & Page smallholder range chick crumb from previous hatch of bantams, it is 17% protein, is this OK for quail chicks? I know I would need to crush it. Do I need to supplement anything with it?

Also I've read alot of conflicting advice on best heat source for quails, they will be indoors for upto 7/8 weeks is my current brooding heat pad ok for them? I am not keen on heat lamps in the house due to having young children but if needs must I will figure something out.

Thank you in advance 🤞
I don’t know much about button quail but I do know they need a gamebird starter the chicken feed is nowhere near enough. Protein.

No, 17% protein chicken starter is not going to give your button quail the nutrition they need. Look for gamebird or turkey starter in the 28-30% protein range.

A heat lamp is best. I use ceramic reptile bulbs that emit heat but no light. Heating pads can cause damage to their feet. I have seen pictures of chicks missing toes because the heat damaged them and the toes went necrotic and fell off.

Button quail are from southeast Asia, so if you're going to keep them outside, make sure that your temperatures don't get too cold for them. If they are dry and have shelter, they can handle down to 40 degrees or maybe a bit lower.

No, 17% protein chicken starter is not going to give your button quail the nutrition they need. Look for gamebird or turkey starter in the 28-30% protein range.

A heat lamp is best. I use ceramic reptile bulbs that emit heat but no light. Heating pads can cause damage to their feet. I have seen pictures of chicks missing toes because the heat damaged them and the toes went necrotic and fell off.

Button quail are from southeast Asia, so if you're going to keep them outside, make sure that your temperatures don't get too cold for them. If they are dry and have shelter, they can handle down to 40 degrees or maybe a bit lower.
Thank you, I was concerned that the protein may not be enough, i am in the UK is there a particular game bird starter you would recommend?

Sorry i didn't mean a heat pad I meant a mother hen heating plate (adjustable one with legs that I use for baby chicks and raise as they grow/come off heat) that they go under so the heat is above them not on the floor. We're currently at around 23°c temps at the moment so being indoors for atleast the first 8weeks I didn't know if a ceramic/bulb heater would be necessary or if the brooder plate would be sufficient. I've attached a pic of the one that I have.

Thank you thats really helpful to know, they will have an insulated indoor area in their run when outside and will also have a ceramic heater fitted in there for if the temp really drops off over winter.

Thank you, I was concerned that the protein may not be enough, i am in the UK is there a particular game bird starter you would recommend?

Sorry i didn't mean a heat pad I meant a mother hen heating plate (adjustable one with legs that I use for baby chicks and raise as they grow/come off heat) that they go under so the heat is above them not on the floor. We're currently at around 23°c temps at the moment so being indoors for atleast the first 8weeks I didn't know if a ceramic/bulb heater would be necessary or if the brooder plate would be sufficient. I've attached a pic of the one that I have.

Thank you thats really helpful to know, they will have an insulated indoor area in their run when outside and will also have a ceramic heater fitted in there for if the temp really drops off over winter.
I did some searching and it looks like Heygates makes a quail feed in the UK. It's a bit low on the protein, but better than the chicken starter.

I think that a heating plate isn't going to be able to get low enough to keep button chicks warm. Button chicks are tiny.

Good luck, and post pics when they hatch!

You can always raise the bedding up higher...so that the legs are firmly on the bottom of the brooder and the bedding is closer to the plate.
I did some searching and it looks like Heygates makes a quail feed in the UK. It's a bit low on the protein, but better than the chicken starter.

I think that a heating plate isn't going to be able to get low enough to keep button chicks warm. Button chicks are tiny.

Good luck, and post pics when they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom