Brooding duck

G1NA

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2020
Hi everyone, I currently have a brooding duck. She’s presently sitting on eggs that aren’t fertilized, but I was wondering, if we are able to get some fertilized eggs and switch them out, will she reject them? Will she know that they aren’t her eggs? She’s already been sitting for a little over two weeks. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

She won't reject them she will continue to sit, just make sure she is coming out daily to eat drink bathe and poop. Brooding is hard on them if they don't take care of themselves.
What breed?

She won't reject them she will continue to sit, just make sure she is coming out daily to eat drink bathe and poop. Brooding is hard on them if they don't take care of themselves.
What breed?
Thank you. I’m not even sure what breed. Here’s a picture.

Attachments

• A1EAB4BB-2C72-4678-858D-38E0CEECB66D.jpeg
    A1EAB4BB-2C72-4678-858D-38E0CEECB66D.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 5
For my ducks you could stick egg shaped rocks or even golf balls under them and they will lovingly sit on them and cover them up with straw. But all animals are individuals, and I think I would have an incubator available just in case.

2 weeks plus another 4 for the new eggs might be a long time to be broody. My ducks have done it before, but I feel like I made a mistake allowing it for them. You can set your own standards, of course.

Yep it is hard on them, I have 3 Muscovy right now going on 5 weeks and they don't even have eggs under them. I don't have to worry about them not coming out though they love to make everyones life miserable by being miss Grumps.
its up to you if you want her to continue another 28+days.
She looks like a black Swedish to me.

For my ducks you could stick egg shaped rocks or even golf balls under them and they will lovingly sit on them and cover them up with straw. But all animals are individuals, and I think I would have an incubator available just in case.

2 weeks plus another 4 for the new eggs might be a long time to be broody. My ducks have done it before, but I feel like I made a mistake allowing it for them. You can set your own standards, of course.
Thank you!

Yep it is hard on them, I have 3 Muscovy right now going on 5 weeks and they don't even have eggs under them. I don't have to worry about them not coming out though they love to make everyones life miserable by being miss Grumps.
its up to you if you want her to continue another 28+days.
She looks like a black Swedish to me.
Thanks so much for the info!

Back
Top Bottom