brooding ducklings in Florida

mfoth54

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
hello! I'm getting ducks this week (day old ducklings) and I'm a little confused about the heat lamp situation. where I live it is very hot and the lowest temperature in the next month or so during the day is probably around 85. I know that the heat lamp should be set at about 90 and decreased 5 degrees every week or 1 degree every day. I plan on using a heat lamp at night definitely but what about during the day? should I still use the heat lamp even though the overall temperature outside will be equal to that or more? thank you!

Yeah they'll need a heat lamp until the back feathers come in supposedly they cant regulate temp until then. I'm in south Alabama I just keep the lamp pointed more up than down into the brooder when using a small brooder. If you see them panting alot get em out of it. I started using a large metal tub like the ones they keep them in at tractor supply and i point the light straight down so if they need more warmth they can come and go from it. Thats worked the best for me more room makes things alot easier. Some say theres a set time to put em out I just make sure they are feathered fairly good. A old timer told me a long time ago if you put em out let em get a little cool itll make their feathers grow faster than keeping them under the lamp. I'm not a duck pro but my quail and chickens have never had a problem doing that. I did it with my ducks didnt have a problem with them.

Yeah they'll need a heat lamp until the back feathers come in supposedly they cant regulate temp until then. I'm in south Alabama I just keep the lamp pointed more up than down into the brooder when using a small brooder. If you see them panting alot get em out of it. I started using a large metal tub like the ones they keep them in at tractor supply and i point the light straight down so if they need more warmth they can come and go from it. Thats worked the best for me more room makes things alot easier. Some say theres a set time to put em out I just make sure they are feathered fairly good. A old timer told me a long time ago if you put em out let em get a little cool itll make their feathers grow faster than keeping them under the lamp. I'm not a duck pro but my quail and chickens have never had a problem doing that. I did it with my ducks didnt have a problem with them.
Thank you! I’ll definitely put them in a bigger brooder now

I have 3 pekins if you want to add to your flock, although theyre full grown but theyre the sweetest things

Attachments

• Snapchat-743933003.jpg
    Snapchat-743933003.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 1
Thank you! I’ll definitely put them in a bigger brooder now
Chicks also run from the lamp when they get too hot, make sure to check on them periodically throughout the day if theyre always trying to get away from the lamp or panting move the heat lamp higher up or turn down the temperature if thats an option

Back
Top Bottom