Brooding ducks in December

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PDurkin, Nov 17, 2011.

1. PDurkin

PDurkin Chirping

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Howdy everybody,
    Well my worst nightmare happened last night, when i went outside to put my flock of 9 adult ducks to bed they were nowhere to be found. I live in a rural version of suburbia, properties are generally 1.5 acres and very little traffic. I allowed my flock to free ranger which they have been doing for about a year without an issue, well I walked the neighborhood last night with a bag of corn and quacking in an attempt to attract my babies...no luck. So they best I could do was turn on the flood lights scattered around the property and leave the coop open hoping they return. This morning 5 of my 9 babies were home and now that its about to get dark again I have given up hope on the others.

SO this brings me to my question:

Would it be a very bad idea to order ducklings now and brood them. I generally brood in my garage during the spring/summer months with only a heat lamp, since these birds would likely not get here till about December I would assume I will need to move a space heater in here. Anyways do you think this is a bad idea, I mean I am not 100% motivated yet since I traditionally like to work with my birds in Summer but I guess I will have to settle for this. Baby ducks + the holiday season = craziness. Not to mention I am running for state senate and will be caught up in a ferocious primary race come May.

Oh well what do yall think/ suggests? Should I do this or should I wait it out till April (very depressing thought.)

Ugh I hate losing animals [​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My thought is that if something is eating your ducks, it is a waste of money to buy more ducks before you have secure housing for them.

3. cbohn80

cbohn80 Songster

May 2, 2011
    nj
    i agree with blues, put up a fence. even 2 ft high chicken wire would keep them in. also keep a steady supply of corn in the area. they wont try to leave a good food source. ducks would be ok to brood now too. by 6-8 weeks they will be fine out in the cold. fully feathered and almost full grown. also ducks typically stay in their flock, hate to say it but those 4 are gone unless they are a breed that goes broody. they could have slipped away and started a clutch to sit on. doubt it though. good luck!

4. 1234duck

1234duck Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Upper Lake, California
    I Couldn't even think about getting more if my others were all still Unaccounted for... IMO.. I agree, you should first have a well fenced/safe area for your ducks before adding more. }}}Not 100% motivated yet.~Baby ducks/holiday season= craziness ~Running for state senate~~ ((((I Think You Know The Answer To Your Question)))) Good luck, ~Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: