brooding mixed flock of different ages together

Lilly Cohn

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2015
I have two ducklings who are six days old (received them as day olds). I was hoping to get three day old chicks a couple of days after they arrived however my local farm store did not call me when they arrived and they were sold out. Well now my only option is to order day old chicks online but they will arrive around the middle of next week when the ducklings are one and a half weeks old. I only have one brooder and I use the smaller size Brinsea Ecoglow brooder heating device. Am I likely to have problems brooding them together? the brooder is 4.6 ft in length and 2.6 ft in width. The ducklings aren't large breeds. Indian Runner and Welsh Harlequin.

The heating device will have to be at 95 for the chicks but the ducklings will require 85. They can completely get away from the source of heat so is it alright to just leave it at 95? The ducklings are spending noticeably less time under the heater already.

Last edited:
Ducklings are clumsy and messy. Given that the chicks are larger and stronger they can be raised with ducklings. I foresee the possibility for younger chicks getting trampled, soiled and wet from the ducklings. Given the scenario that you have presented, I would not brood them together if they were mine.

I have had them 6 days and I have to say they are hardly a mess at all because I have taken precautions to manage spillage. The water container is superglued to a splash catcher that I made and the splash catcher is attached to the side of the brooder with wire so it can't be tipped over. I will be increasing the size of the container and splash catcher when it's time. They have not flung any food around yet either. So far we have had no spillage or mess. They poop a lot, that's about it. I am more concerned about the trampling. Thanks for you advice, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom