brooding on hatching eggs! some advice please!!???!

chickencrazie08

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
england
hello, i hav had fertile chicken eggs under one of my broody bantams. this is the first time i hav had a broody so i thought i would give it a try. i got the eggs off a friend as she has cockrels and i dont. well yesterday one of the eggs was cheaping (i got really excited) and this morning the chick as got its beak out of the egg. i hav left it under the hen and she seems to just sit on it and wait. should she be helping it or sitting up to let the chick out??? or is she doing the right thing just sitting??? this is my first time and any advice would be nice. also how long until they can go out side with their mum?? just any chick help would be great!! ooh and also how long does it take for a chick to fully hatch after the first pip??? thanks

Missed you last Q, it can take 24 hours or a little more for a chick to hatch after the first pip. Jenn

thank you! i was worried as its her first time. its so tempting to keep looking!! i'll just leave her now. so how long until she can go outside with her chicks. and what should i do about the rest of the flock??

Act as if she is a incubator and leave the lid shut till all the eggs are done hatching.
jumpy.gif
he.gif
jumpy.gif
I know you want to see, we all do, but give the chick(s) a while to get out and dried off.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I keep mine seperate from rest of the flock, they will not recognize them as chickens and will try to catch the furry little bugs if given the opertunity. So give the little ones a chance to grow a little. Mine are out in barn when they hatch, when the weather is nice I give mom the option of being able to go outside, she will know if the ckicks are getting cold and they will be under her all the time. Once its warm enough and they are spending most of thier time away from her I give her the chance to get away from the kids and get back with the flock. when they decide to go roost with the flock instead of with the chicks the chicks are on thier own. At this point I will give them a heat lamp so they can regulate thier own temp. 90 - 5to7 degrees for each week they have been arround.

Back
Top Bottom