Brooding on plastic fake grass pad

SamCO

Songster
Mar 8, 2022
Northern Colorado
Good morning! My salmon faverolles has gone broody. She is currently sitting on 6 eggs. We decided to let her try to hatch them since this will likely be our only chance to let a broody raise chicks since we just sent our mean rooster to freezer camp. My kids are sooo excited. We candled a few eggs yesterday and they all seem to be developing.
here’s my question. the nesting boxes hangs on the wall and I have these plastic pads lining them (sort of like fake grass.). They are not soft at all, certainly not a cozy nest. Should I try adding nesting material to the box? At least wood shavings? Or should I just let her be?

Good morning! My salmon faverolles has gone broody. She is currently sitting on 6 eggs. We decided to let her try to hatch them since this will likely be our only chance to let a broody raise chicks since we just sent our mean rooster to freezer camp. My kids are sooo excited. We candled a few eggs yesterday and they all seem to be developing.
here’s my question. the nesting boxes hangs on the wall and I have these plastic pads lining them (sort of like fake grass.). They are not soft at all, certainly not a cozy nest. Should I try adding nesting material to the box? At least wood shavings? Or should I just let her be?
I have some of those they are pretty sharp, I'd definitely swap it out for anything softer. Hay, grass clippings, straw, if nothing else wood chips.

I wound let her get off the nest real quick whenever she leave to go eat and drink then swap it with bedding or straw or a old piece of rug. The chicks could get cut while hatching by fake grass and might not hatch well. So watch her for whenever she gets off and swap it out.

Freezer camp 🤣

Ok guys… the broody does NOT like the straw. Another hen has set on the eggs today, but when I try to put my faverolles back in the nest, she’s refusing. So my question- do I move her and the nest into a seperate area within the coop? Do I just let the hens share brooding? Take the straw back out? I really don’t want to mess with her too much but as it is, she’s not sitting on the correct nest. She keeps going to another nest box.

Here’s the egg thief that is incubating eggs tiday. If this Brahma wants to continue to sit is two weeks long enough for her to sit on the eggs and then raise chicks? The eggs have been incubating about 10 days.

Attachments

• 69DFC5FA-E587-406B-A5E7-CD85420C1113.jpeg
    69DFC5FA-E587-406B-A5E7-CD85420C1113.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom