Brooding Outdoors

Quote:
Beware of drafts and keep an eye on the temperature - also watch the chicks, they'll let you know if something isn't right or they are happy campers.
Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Hi We just had a broody hen hatch out 4 cute little fuzzy butts about a week ago. We put them all in a little pen out side. The little house has a heat lamp on and the little pen is inside our run. Those little buggers are running all over the place. If they get alittle cool they either get under mom or they go in side where the heat lamp is. It is so fun watching mom and babies. Its been in the 40's during the day and around freezing at night.

They are healthy and having a good time...
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Lynn

My 30 three week old chicks have been in a coop since they were a week old. Their pretty much feathered out now.It was 32 last nite & no problem. They all ball up to stay warm. They do have a heat lamb that I turn on at nite & turn off during the day.

Ours were in a small brooder for two weeks. Last weekend I moved them to a larger brooder on the back screen porch. (I'm in Florida and avg temp overnight last week was 68) I plug in their red light for overnight and they're doing great! Only one I worry about is the obvious cockerel as he has NO feathering, he's still just a huge fluff ball. But he stays warm enough. Next week they're going out in a tractor daily.
celebrate.gif
One of the benefits of living in a moderate climate I suppose.

Quote:
Don't rub it in!
tongue.gif
I miss Florida this time of year!

Yeah, my broody had her chicks out in the snow when they weren't more than a week old or so. They are happy and healthy. Really the reason us humans have to err on the side of caution is because we aren't broody hens. We are not as clued into the subtle cues from the chicks about what they need. Having raised chicks both ways now, broody and brooder, I much prefer to let mama do it. She's so much better at it than this mere human is.

CowGirl I've been using yard signs that I had leftover from a business I closed last year. You know those corrugate plastic printed signs you see stuck all over advertising? The outdoor brooder is a huge plastic tray that I got from Grainger's (online sales although you may have a Graingers closer then you think) a few years back. It's 4' x 3'. Around the tray is puppy x-pen and the plastic placards are clamped to the outside for drafts. Cardboard would work just as well I suppose but these were handy and the right size. Every time I use a craftsman's knife I cut my self. No Booboos!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom