Brooding Outside From Day 1

Oh no! I’m so sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you can make it so that doesn’t happen in the future. Smaller hardware cloth, and maybe fence in or some other sort of barrier around the area the brooder is in? I feel safer having them in an enclosed area.
I just brought home a new batch of chicks, they’re inside tonight but are going out tomorrow.
Thank you. I don't even think they make it smaller. Hopefully the tiles under the pine shavings will be enough. They were ten days old :(

Do you have half or quarter inch? Honestly I’m surprised a weasel was able to reach in either way, that’s not a big gap. Hopefully the tiles help keep your babies safe.

So sorry to hear that... :( I can't imagine a weasel getting into 1/4" but maybe it managed to bend some of the wire and force a limb or two through?

Is your brooder set up inside your run? I do brood outdoors as well with the brooder inside the run. So not completely predator proof but my goal is to get them off heat and into the coop ASAP to minimize how long they're out there.

So sorry to hear that... :( I can't imagine a weasel getting into 1/4" but maybe it managed to bend some of the wire and force a limb or two through?

Is your brooder set up inside your run? I do brood outdoors as well with the brooder inside the run. So not completely predator proof but my goal is to get them off heat and into the coop ASAP to minimize how long they're out there.
My brooder is near my run but not in it. My run fence is large spacing welded wire, so wouldnt keep out small predators. My coop is very predator proof for night time.

I just looked over the hutch since I am just home from work. All the "walls" are 1/4 inch, but the floor is 1/2. I am remembering now that is what was recommended for rabbit feet. I built this thing 2 years ago. I just went to tractor supply and they had NO TRAPS ON THE shelf excep rat, so I got an XL rat trap, and borrowed a raccons size havahart trap from a friend. Set those both with tuna near the brooder. I reinforced the floor of the brooder with tiles and ttripled the depth of their wood shavings. Hoping with all that I either catch the culprit tonight or at least deter it. Sleeping with one eye open, hand on my slingshot tonight.

Back
Top Bottom