Brooding Pens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bleenie, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

2 of my Cochin hens seem to have gone broody. Lately, everytime i go to the coop i see my little blue cochin/silkie X setting in the box. My partridge hen has also been growlign and setting. Currently theres only wooden eggs in there since ive been gathering them all.

I KNOW i will not be able to 'stop' the partridge hen from being broody, the machine sat on 8 nests last year. [​IMG] This is the very first year for the blue hen though, she seems very determined too.

it's been freezing off & on lately and is pretty wet. I am just worried about the chicks. Will the hens do okay if i take them away after they hatch & fluff?

I don't have a problem brooding them for a week until they find homes, just dont wanna tear the hens hearts out, lol.

does anyone have experience with a brooding pen? does it work well? they would both go in together for company of course.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    lol I wouldn't waste the opportunity with 2 hens broody, and if you can sell the chicks too.... But that's my opinion. You could leave a chick or 2 for each hen, and they'll be happy. I've heard of hens sharing chicks too.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Duplicate thread under "Coops". [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by