Brooding question

SueD

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 20, 2007
Pittstown,NJ
Hi all, I have a question,

Now that my one hen hatched her babies...my other hen is sitting in a box, and wont leave. She doesnt have any eggs she's sitting on, and she tried to bite me when I went to move her out of there. Why would she be pretending to be sitting on eggs now? and should I just leave her alone?

Thanks
Sue

I've always said chicken see, chicken do. I believe she'll get tired of sitting and will leave the nest. Try giving them some special treat and see if she will come down.

depending on how long shes been sitting in the box, I would say shes brooding. My hens have done this before and it scared the crap out of me because I thought they were sick. If she is brooding she wont lay any eggs and probably wont be moving very much, even if you pick her up and put her in a different place. You can either wait it out, or if your in a hurry, put her in a small cage with a black or dark blanket or towel completely over the cage. Supposedly this will bring the hens out of it (I learned this from a very established poultry judge a couple years ago).

Back
Top Bottom