Brooding question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SueD, Aug 7, 2007.

1. SueD

SueD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Hi all, I have a question,

Now that my one hen hatched her other hen is sitting in a box, and wont leave. She doesnt have any eggs she's sitting on, and she tried to bite me when I went to move her out of there. Why would she be pretending to be sitting on eggs now? and should I just leave her alone?

2. Canarygirl

Canarygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    I've always said chicken see, chicken do. I believe she'll get tired of sitting and will leave the nest. Try giving them some special treat and see if she will come down.
  3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    depending on how long shes been sitting in the box, I would say shes brooding. My hens have done this before and it scared the crap out of me because I thought they were sick. If she is brooding she wont lay any eggs and probably wont be moving very much, even if you pick her up and put her in a different place. You can either wait it out, or if your in a hurry, put her in a small cage with a black or dark blanket or towel completely over the cage. Supposedly this will bring the hens out of it (I learned this from a very established poultry judge a couple years ago).
  4. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    if you have any eggs, put them under her. increase your flock!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by