Broody 1 week before chicks arrive

They really don't need darkness or 'privacy' IMO...as long as they feel safe.

You could always switch to an 'all flock' type of feed.

Well its time to look into that, I want everyone on the same feed once the chicks start to integrate. The timing should be about right the layer pellets the flock is eating now should be running out in about two weeks.

Thanks

Gary

I am wondering, when I slip the chicks under do I need to remove the wood eggs? Do I just lift her wings and put the chicks under?
I am thinking it would be hard to get the wood eggs out from under her without waking her up. Am I overthinking it? I wish I could just put them under her straight from the post office.

Gary

Following! I hope she takes the babies! I'm doing staggered hatches this year and hope to give some of the babies to broodies. I've had a few BO hens flirting with being broody, but none have settled yet. I also bought 3 Chocolate Orp hens and one was acting very broody when I got her but moving her broke her.

I am wondering, when I slip the chicks under do I need to remove the wood eggs? Do I just lift her wings and put the chicks under?
I am thinking it would be hard to get the wood eggs out from under her without waking her up. Am I overthinking it? I wish I could just put them under her straight from the post office.

Gary
Getting the fake eggs won't be too hard. I had a hen sitting on Ceramic eggs in September until I determined she was broody. I swapped them for real eggs after dark. I just reached in with a real egg in my hand, put it under her and grabbed a fake egg on the way out. I knew how many fakes there were and I could tell the fakes from the real eggs I had deposited because the fakes were warm and the real eggs were cool.

It will be even easier replacing eggs for chicks!

Gary
Remove the eggs... she don't care about being awoken. Just protect the babies as you tuck so they don't accidentally get pecked since she will likely try to peck you. And keep it dark... So she won't try to stay waiting for the other eggs to hatch.

Once all are tucked in we turn the light off and listen... to make sure none of the babes accidentally got pushed or rustled out from under neath her. We do one final look with the flash light after a few minutes... and go on our merry way... Checking back VERY early in the morning to make sure no one is being pecked... maliciously. I have had broody's peck their babes and say get back under me... but you can probably tell the difference.

Other than possible confusion on the part of the broody... I have been successful with EVERY adoption... thus far. :cool: The broody's desperately want to raise some offspring... they are WILLING parties to our adoption antics. :pop :wee

Other than possible confusion on the part of the broody... I have been successful with EVERY adoption... thus far. :cool: The broody's desperately want to raise some offspring... they are WILLING parties to our adoption antics. :pop :wee[/QUOTE]

This is my hope! I have read that broody's need to be broody a couple of weeks to adopt chicks, Fluffy will be 5 days since she laid her last egg, 7 days since she started acting broody. I have faith in her she does want to be a mom I think:)

Gary

Other than possible confusion on the part of the broody... I have been successful with EVERY adoption... thus far. :cool: The broody's desperately want to raise some offspring... they are WILLING parties to our adoption antics. :pop :wee

This is my hope! I have read that broody's need to be broody a couple of weeks to adopt chicks, Fluffy will be 5 days since she laid her last egg, 7 days since she started acting broody. I have faith in her she does want to be a mom I think:)

Gary[/QUOTE]
From everything I heard, at least a week of broodiness is recommended before introducing chicks. So you're good.

Poor Fluffy likely will be confused, hey I was sitting on two eggs now I have 5 chicks...

Lol

Gary
Maybe she'll think she had a set of twins an triplets? LOL

Good thing chickens can't count.

I think it is @Ridgerunner who likes to incubate along side her broody hens and pops a couple extra chicks under them since some of her hens are capable of caring for more eggs than they can physically hatch.

I have read that broody's need to be broody a couple of weeks to adopt chicks,
I've HEARD/read a LOT of things! ;) Doesn't make most of them true. :p But yes, I'm sure longer is helpful in most situations.

I have adopted chicks as soon as THREE days after a hen becoming broody. They aren't in nearly as big of hurry to get "out" of the box as when they've been sitting for 3 or more weeks in some cases. So my very early broody's did keep their chicks in longer. I just made food and water available during daytime hours right nearby. And for some it takes a couple of days to become MORE broody protective... get their hormones good and raging... so they can open up a can of crazy mama on ANY flock member who messes with her family. It sets in rapidly though once the chicks arrive. This has been MY experience anyways. :)

But seriously... if I can avoid it, I WON'T let any of my gals sit for that long... I just don't like the condition loss... though I'm not 100% sure that is what CAUSES the shakiness... they are shaky like the first day it seems. :confused:

Can't wait to see the pics of mum her foster babes! :D

Back
Top Bottom