Broody 1 week before chicks arrive

Her new nest is more cozy, she was in the roll out nest box that is just dense carpet now she has lots of nesting materials, hay and wood flakes. I made a bowl out of it and put the fake eggs in it.

I am getting 5 chicks next Tuesday, likely, they are being shipped Monday from Meyers last year they arrived Tuesday.

Gary
I always let my Broodies stay where they've chosen for a couple days to be sure; then I move them AT NIGHT to the place I want them to incubate, along with the eggs they've been sitting on. Then I would exchange the eggs for biddies, also at night........

Last edited:
Chicks are growing!
I need to get them moved to lower section SOON so mama can integrate. I'm wondering if I just make a nest and move them now?
I need to make proper doors, but thinking just put them in with wire pulled back (so there is an opening everyone can go in and out) and forget the door for now? Let mama handle it?
@aart

Gary

You might want to keep them behind (wire) doors for a day or two.....so the flock get used to seeing them at floor level, but then just open it up and let the fun begin!

You might want to keep them behind (wire) doors for a day or two.....so the flock get used to seeing them at floor level, but then just open it up and let the fun begin!

Good advice.... I should have followed it @aart While I was working on framing the door openings and making the doors for the lowel level area I opened up the door to the brooder and put a plank from the brooder to the roost and left it like that while I was coming in and out. At first they wanted nothing to do with the opening or plank and moved far away from it. About an hour into it I came in and Fluffy was at the pop door with 3 chicks so I put the other 2 with them and let her deal with them while I worked. They stuck with her and everyone kept to themselves for the most part. Fluffy got into it with a couple sisters but nothing serious. I finished up the doors and hung them then scooted the flock out of the coop and got Fluffy and the chicks in the new space (floor level) and closed the door. I put everyone back in the coop and left for a couple of hours.

When I got back I went out to admire my new doors and decided to open it up while I was there. Fluffy came out and Goldie, lowest in the pecking order... decided to attack Fluffy. The big girls could care less about the chicks. Fluffy needs to integrate back to the flock next. So its look but don't touch for a couple days then I will step out of it and let them sort it out.

Gary

IMG_1924.JPG

Here it is @aart

Attachments

• IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    539.5 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom