Broody 2 weeks apart

jaywin

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Hi all
I have a broody hen who is due to hatch on the 19th April
Today another has gone broody, which is great but I am wondering if I can put them in together when hatched.
my set up is a small chick secure run within a two acre orchard that the flock free ranges in. In the chick run are two small coops, one better than the other. Once hatch the first lot will go into the nest coop in the secure chick run, she is currently in the main coop in a cage.
the second broody is a senior hen and has chosen a nest box to hatch in. I think she will be ok as she is keeping the others away and it’s not one of the favourite nest boxes. I plan to leave her until lock down to come and go as she pleases, I’ve marked her eggs and will remove any others should there be any. When she locks down I will make her area in the coop secure for the chicks for a couple of days.
my question is can I then move the second broody and her hatchlings to the secure run and coop with the other mother. The chicks will be two weeks apart almost, with two mums. I could use the other coop in the chick run, it will be fine, and then the two mums and chicks will be out together during the day, in view of the flock. But I am thinking the two mums and all the chicks will be good in the nest coop in that secure run? Any Experience appreciated

In my experience they will very likely fight unless the area is quite large.
Thank you. I spent yesterday enlarging the broody run so fingers crossed. I have also done it so I can easily split it if I have to.

I have two broody hens , each in thier own nest box . The first hens eggs hatched today and the next ones are due in 9 days. They are in a 4by4 coop and 4by8 run . Will this be okay or will this be a problem?

I have two broody hens , each in thier own nest box . The first hens eggs hatched today and the next ones are due in 9 days. They are in a 4by4 coop and 4by8 run . Will this be okay or will this be a problem?
The first hen has 12 chicks and the next one is expected to have just as many.

E20AF1F4-C907-4585-8C1F-1EC844D55EC6.jpeg

Hi
So my two are in adjoining runs each with their own coop. If they are near the fence between them at the same time there is some puffing up of feathers but no real aggression however I’m not sure what they would be like if they were actually in together. I think as sourland says above they would fight. If they were in a huge area I’m sure they’d be ok as they would just avoid each other.

Hi
So my two are in adjoining runs each with their own coop. If they are near the fence between them at the same time there is some puffing up of feathers but no real aggression however I’m not sure what they would be like if they were actually in together. I think as sourland says above they would fight. If they were in a huge area I’m sure they’d be ok as they would just avoid each other.
Thanks for the feedback ! I appreciate it. The second broody is crazy she goes beserk when she goes outside for a poo break so I think it will probably be an issue too. I’ll find a way to make it work.

Back
Top Bottom