Broody adoption

AGCB

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 7, 2015
Upper Michigan
I have a broody hen that's been on eggs for 4 days but I candled them and see nothing. I think they were cold for too long before she started.

I can locally get some days old chicks and was wondering if putting them under her after she's only been sitting this long will be a problem. I would replace eggs with chicks after dark.

Does this sound doable? I want to slightly increase the size of my flock.

Thanks
Aaron

I would wait a couple more days just to make sure she is really broody and will be committed to raising the chicks, but if you believe she is really broody and she's been constantly laying on them then I think getting the chicks and putting them under her at night will be perfectly fine... After all, chickens can't count how long they've been sitting on eggs
1f605.png

I've done this successfully, twice. But I waited 21 days from the day I was sure she was broody. If she isn't ready, she could kill the chicks you put under her.

I got 5 chicks that same day and waited till after dark and put them under her. By morning she was a new mom but I worried till I saw them peeping out from her wings.

Now it is going on 1 week and everything is well. I have them in the main coop separated by 1" screen, w/ their own water and food. Hen is very protective.

My question is, Since these are from a private farm and have not been treated for anything like those you would get from an established dealer, is there anything I need to do to protect their health? I keep the area clean and they now have a nipple waterer for the chicks and a higher up container for the hen.

Thanks for your input
Aaron

Back
Top Bottom