Broody agitated,set to hatch tomorrow-so worried!

peepmommy

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
So my broody is set to hatch tomorrow. I went into the coop today to let the girls out (broody is confined) and she was pacing back and forth, trying to get out of her pen! Usually she is very calm and sitting on her nest. I do not understand this behavior! She did let out a huge stinky poop. The other hens were watching her, like they couldn't believe how upset she was. Is she doing this because she just wants out or because she knows something is happening?? I am new to broody hens and I am worrying myself to tears!!!

she settled back on the nest. Maybe i just caught her at the right moment. i am sitting on pins and needles, just hoping we get one little baby!!!

My broody hens do not like do soil their nest. I confine them as well, I usually leave the door off their cage so they can come and go as they please. If I leave the door on, I remove them from the nest once a day (usually in the morning since I'm home then) so they can take care of business. I had hens I've picked up off the nest almost let one of those icky poops go right on me because I didn't pull them at the normal time. They all pace the cage when they need to go to the bathroom. I'll bet that's why she was freaking, she want her nest site tidy. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I am just so excited and worried myself! I am pacing too not knowing what to do!
hu.gif

So I checked on mamma, no chicks today. I did hear a pop as she settled and realized a bomb went off! When I threw the egg out, she preceded to eat the left over goo!
sickbyc.gif
I'm just hoping to get one baby!!!!

Well, I hope when I check in tomorrow you'll have a pic of a fluffy butt on here!
Went through this already this week. My hen was kind and hatched out 8 beautiful chicks on day 19! Have another broody sitting and she was due 4 days after the first one. So I now have no idea what to expect. Really hope she hatches something.

Back
Top Bottom