NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hope this is in the right place.
I gave a broody hen 4 egg. Two have been broken in 2 days. I believe it’s other hens wanting the nest even though there are others open. I have had to clean the eggs twice due to yoke coating, and change nesting material.
I don’t want to move the broody to a separated nest at this time for various important reasons.
Three questions-
1. Will a thin curtain deter others from climbing in the nest with broody and stomping eggs?
2. Will it be too hot inside the nest with a curtain? It’s been unseasonably hot-coop temp 87 deg with everything open and broody has water, does not appear heat stressed
3. What adverse events, if any, can I anticipate from having to wash the eggs twice. And if I have to do a 3rd time? I did not scrub but had to lightly rub yoke away under warm running water.
thanks☺️

How long did she sit?

If she sat just a few days I probably would discard the eggs because if you needed to wash them the chances to hatch diminish. Or ..

I would put the broody in another spot where the other hens don’t lay. And near the ground where its safe to hatch for the chicks.
Do this in the night if she is sleepy. If she sits firmly on the better spot you can candle the eggs to see if they are developing (noticeable from day 4-5). Or you can choose change the yolked eggs with fresh hatching eggs.

Btw 4 eggs is not much for a hatch. You are very lucky if you get two pullets from 4 hatching eggs.

I've done a lot of broody hatches under all sorts of different situations and the conclusion I've come to is, it is best to seperate the hen from interference from other flock members if you want the best hatch rates. This is particularly important if the hen is lower in the pecking order or has decided to set up in a high-value nest box. I've been successful leaving high ranking hens sit wherever they want, I've been much less successful letting lower ranking hens stay fully with the flock.
I second what @BDutch said about starting again with new eggs if she hasn't been sitting for very long yet.
Ultimately what you want and need from the hatch is up to you, but if you're going to leave the hen with the flock (which I've done many times, and got chicks most times), expect a lower hatch rate and set more eggs accordingly. I'd recommend at least 8.

Thank you @BDutch and @TheFatBlueCat.
She’s been broody for just under a week now, and she’s at the top of pecking order among 9 hens. I tried adding a thin veil to the entry but she left the box to eat then went to a different box. It’s been 87 degrees lately and I am home to monitor so I simply move the eggs under her.
If I separate her I’m concerned she won’t go back to her nest but choose the premium, preferred nest— I tried that when she was broody a month ago.
I will give her new eggs, candle what I have, and go from there.
I’ll post updates every now and then. Thx again!!

If you're home to monitor, perhaps a mesh screen you can use to block the nest with her in it would work. I have used this strategy during hatching time to ensure no flock mates can interfere during the vulnerable hatching stage. Since you're home, you can plonk her out of the nest once or twice a day for food, water and dust baths, and supervise till she goes back to it, then reset the screen.
I feed my flock twice a day, and if I have a broody hen who doesn't get up for food time, I biff broodies off nests myself at food time so I know they're eating. Make sure you stop doing this a day or so off from hatching day though.

If you're home to monitor, perhaps a mesh screen you can use to block the nest with her in it would work. I have used this strategy during hatching time to ensure no flock mates can interfere during the vulnerable hatching stage. Since you're home, you can plonk her out of the nest once or twice a day for food, water and dust baths, and supervise till she goes back to it, then reset the screen.
I feed my flock twice a day, and if I have a broody hen who doesn't get up for food time, I biff broodies off nests myself at food time so I know they're eating. Make sure you stop doing this a day or so off from hatching day though.
certainly something to consider. thx

Back
Top Bottom