Broody Astrolorpe in a mixed flock

As hard as it is, the best thing is to leave them alone. Let the mama and babies get this figured out. I would leave the nest open so the mama can leave it, mine always leave the old dirty nest, and build a new one on the floor. I just make sure there is clean bedding available, but no matter how nice I make the nest, in what I am sure is the best spot, they have never agreed and make it somewhere else.

Mrs K
So even if they can get outside? She will make sure they don’t leave the coop? I have the coop connected to the run and all my adults hangout in the run and have access to the nesting boxes in the morning. Then midday I let everyone free range and keep the coop open ( downstairs entrance) so my other hens can get to the nesting boxes. If the chicks got outside they wouldn’t be able to hop back into the coop. But if I keep the coop closed my laying hens can’t access the nesting boxes. 🤦‍♀️

So even if they can get outside? She will make sure they don’t leave the coop? I have the coop connected to the run and all my adults hangout in the run and have access to the nesting boxes in the morning. Then midday I let everyone free range and keep the coop open ( downstairs entrance) so my other hens can get to the nesting boxes. If the chicks got outside they wouldn’t be able to hop back into the coop. But if I keep the coop closed my laying hens can’t access the nesting boxes. 🤦‍♀️
Maybe I could make a little ramp downstairs at the entrance so they could get back in if they got out.
I do have 4 nesting boxes upstairs so I’ll make sure there’s plenty fresh straw and let her figure it out.

Update: 4 surviving chicks! So cute. I rigged up a barrier that’s only 3-4 in high to keep them from falling downstairs in the coop but not high enough that the adult chickens can’t hop over.
I guess we’ll see where she moves them. She is currently in the most popular nesting box so there might be some defending she has to do if she stays there. This hen is so sweet, I hope she also has some protective fight in her.

Back
Top Bottom