Broody Astrolorpe in a mixed flock

EdgeofAsheville

Songster
Sep 12, 2021
We are still new to this so be kind. We have a mixed flock with a beautiful black Astrolorpe hen, a silver laced Wyandotte hen, an Isa Brown and 4 Easter Eggers. We also have a silver Bresse rooster.
Our Astrolorpe turned broody earlier this week. Luckily she is so sweet that she is okay with me gently removing the blue and brown eggs from underneath her. I can’t tell the difference between her eggs and the Wyandottes so I’m letting her sit on 4 cream colored eggs.
I moved her to the less desirable neighboring nest box but keep discovering brown and blue eggs under her.
Is she stealing eggs from the popular nesting box or are the other hens laying now in her box? Just curious.
Also, is it wise to cross Bresse with these two hens? I figured since it’s warm here it might be a good chance to let her be a mom. But any advice welcome!
Thanks

Can you please post pictures of where she's setting?
I would personally let her set whatever eggs you choose for her. She doesn't have to set only her own.
What oftentimes happens is when the broody gets off her nest to take her break the other hens come in and lay their eggs in her nest. And she happily climbs back on and starts setting the extras too. The problem with that is you end up with a staggered hatch. That is why it is always recommended that you mark the hatching eggs and that they are all set on the same day so they all start developing on the same day.
The hen is then removed from her nest daily, her nest inspected for any stray eggs that have been deposited and removed promptly.

BTW, my BA is my current best broody hen. She is an excellent gentle mother.
Astrid on the nest.png
IMG_20210814_181712208_HDR.jpg

I would personally let her set whatever eggs you choose for her. She doesn't have to set only her own.
What oftentimes happens is when the broody gets off her nest to take her break the other hens come in and lay their eggs in her nest. And she happily climbs back on and starts setting the extras too. The problem with that is you end up with a staggered hatch. That is why it is always recommended that you mark the hatching eggs and that they are all set on the same day so they all start developing on the same day.
The hen is then removed from her nest daily, her nest inspected for any stray eggs that have been deposited and removed promptly.

BTW, my BA is my current best broody hen. She is an excellent gentle mother.View attachment 3115663View attachment 3115665
Thanks! I’ll mark them today. Good idea. She is very sweet and I think she’ll be a good mom. She’s also the rooster’s favorite girlfriend so I know she’ll be protected. I just don’t want her sitting on any Easter Eggers eggs, rather cross with a pure breed.

We are still new to this so be kind. We have a mixed flock with a beautiful black Astrolorpe hen, a silver laced Wyandotte hen, an Isa Brown and 4 Easter Eggers. We also have a silver Bresse rooster.
Our Astrolorpe turned broody earlier this week. Luckily she is so sweet that she is okay with me gently removing the blue and brown eggs from underneath her. I can’t tell the difference between her eggs and the Wyandottes so I’m letting her sit on 4 cream colored eggs.
I moved her to the less desirable neighboring nest box but keep discovering brown and blue eggs under her.
Is she stealing eggs from the popular nesting box or are the other hens laying now in her box? Just curious.
Also, is it wise to cross Bresse with these two hens? I figured since it’s warm here it might be a good chance to let her be a mom. But any advice welcome!
Thanks
Sometimes broodies steal eggs but I would guess it's more likely that others are sneaking into the nest box and laying when she gets up to eat.
Marking all the eggs you want to be here and removing other eggs daily is an easy cure. I'm glad she's a sweet broody. Currently I have two hens setting and one is sweet and the other isn't! 😊

she’ll be protected
She'll do that herself.
Hell hath no fury as a broody hen that thinks you're too close to her chicks.
I had a Cuckoo Marans hen catapult her screeching self right at my face one day when I was changing their water.
Easter Eggers eggs, rather cross with a pure breed.
It doesn't matter. They are all going to be mixed regardless. I've hatched my EEs crossed with my SF rooster and gotten fine hens from the mix. Hybrid vigor.

BTW, my BA is my current best broody hen. She is an excellent gentle mother.View attachment 3115663View attachment 3115665
That is so stinkin' cute. I can't wait! My kids are excited too.

Today was the day! I was so excited. 3 survivors so far. One didn’t make it. And one has just broken the shell and is starting to hatch.
I separated the Mama hen a bit with a divider that gives the little ones the ability to walk around. I have a ramp that goes down to the entrance/ first floor so I have to watch none of them wander off.
Besides chick food and water, anything else I should do?

Attachments

• 13B8EEB1-88D0-4771-8FFC-ABF850FB7127.jpeg
    13B8EEB1-88D0-4771-8FFC-ABF850FB7127.jpeg
    592.5 KB · Views: 7
  • ACE7D5B5-DAA8-481C-93F7-1D8C5EC30DE6.jpeg
    ACE7D5B5-DAA8-481C-93F7-1D8C5EC30DE6.jpeg
    566.4 KB · Views: 5
  • E649B6D0-9B1A-4C1A-A4A3-3892D90DDE04.jpeg
    E649B6D0-9B1A-4C1A-A4A3-3892D90DDE04.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 7
As hard as it is, the best thing is to leave them alone. Let the mama and babies get this figured out. I would leave the nest open so the mama can leave it, mine always leave the old dirty nest, and build a new one on the floor. I just make sure there is clean bedding available, but no matter how nice I make the nest, in what I am sure is the best spot, they have never agreed and make it somewhere else.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom