What breed to add to our flock?

ChickenTenderz

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
We have 4 Rhode Island Red hens (almost 2yrs old), and 3 Black Australorps (almost 1 yr old)...we lost a BA pullet this past week to an unknown predator. So I was planning to add 3 more chicks to our flock this year.
Would like to be getting similar amount & size of eggs from them as our RIR & BA girls. Of course they need to be likely to get along with our existing flock. We're in upstate South Carolina so should be hot & cold hardy too.

The breeds available near us are:
Buff Orpington
Barred Rocks
Gold Laced Wyandotte
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Welsummers
Cuckoo Marans
Black Sexlinks

My barred rock is a fantastic layer. My buff Orphington is almost 31 weeks and still not laying yet. Apparently they’re notorious for developing late. I also keep reading how they go broody often so I’m not looking forward to dealing with that. I’d probably avoid Orphingtons in the future because of this.

For reference I also have a RIR, white leghorn and Easter egger. They get along just fine.

Breed doesn't often determine disposition.
Adding any birds can cause an uprising when they 'invade' the flocks territory.
...so make sure you have a good integration plan and space ready.
I can attest to this in my current situation! My calm sweet flock have turned into absolute monsters as I try to integrate some new 8 week old friends

Breed doesn't often determine disposition.
Adding any birds can cause an uprising when they 'invade' the flocks territory.
...so make sure you have a good integration plan and space ready.
I plan to let the girls see but not touch the new girls on outside outings until they are big enough to move to the coop. (I have the brooder in our sunroom) It worked great integrating our BA girls with our RIR this past year. At first I had 2 separate groups when they were free ranging but they are now one big happy family.

I have to laugh, chicken math...I lost one, so will add 3...:plbb

I am a fan of getting the chicks into the flock at 3-4 weeks. I don't separate them, but do provide a safety zones.

Easter eggers - add a little color to your basket, and generally get along well in that type of flock. Personally I have only had one BO that I didn't like, and like to have one in the flock to go broody. I like raising chicks with a broody hen.

Truthfully - any of those on the list will work fine. IMO what you need to avoid is the bantam or polish breeds.

Mrs K

I think I've settled on silver or gold lace wyandotte. I read they are said to continue laying through winter better than other breeds and they are gorgeous! 😍
Is there any difference between the gold and silver ones beside the color of their feathers?
Or maybe black sexlinks? Anyone have experience with either breed?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom