Reintroducing broody hen to flock?

Star428

Songster
Mar 30, 2023
I tried reintroducing my broody hen to the flock and she started attacking everyone! My rooster tried to get her to stop but she's just going crazy! (She wasn't like this before it's probably because she's still broody) She ended up cutting her own foot and making it bleed
Any tips for reintroducing her better?
20230802_203016.jpg

Oh yeah, and it isn't just normal pecking order behavior either it was at first... but then turned into biting, pulling out feathers, and lunging at the other birds

She will need 3 days jail time to break the broodiness. Always works for mine. No nesting material. Just a crate with water and food. A wire cage is even better. I put in a 2 x 4 for roosting on, water and food. Elevate the cage off the ground with bricks or wood if desired. Put the cage where the others can see her, like in the run or where they range, as long as it's safe from predators. Good luck. If at the end of 3 days she still is behaving broody, keep adding days until she's back to normal. The flock will receive her back.

She will need 3 days jail time to break the broodiness. Always works for mine. No nesting material. Just a crate with water and food. A wire cage is even better. I put in a 2 x 4 for roosting on, water and food. Elevate the cage off the ground with bricks or wood if desired. Put the cage where the others can see her, like in the run or where they range, as long as it's safe from predators. Good luck. If at the end of 3 days she still is behaving broody, keep adding days until she's back to normal. The flock will receive her back.
If I do this in the cage she was already brooding in (just without the nesting material and the shade) will she break broody or continue being broody because it's the same cage?

If I do this in the cage she was already brooding in (just without the nesting material and the shade) will she break broody or continue being broody because it's the same cage?
She should break. With no eggs to hatch, nor a warm cozy nest, she'll literally cool off and come out of it.

Back
Top Bottom