Broody Bantam Sitting on 3 eggs

hangin'witthepeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Colbert, GA
I got some eggs I was waiting for 7 months to get. I wanted the weather to be better. So I got the eggs the same time one of my Silkie/D'uccle crosses (Salt) went broody. I made a broody pen (had experience from this last time she and her sister went broody and would nest hop) and put three of my incubator eggs in there. I was going to move her and see if she would accept the new nest, she did I was surprised how easy it was. So I have left here there and now we're on day 18 (lockdown). She could have easily covered 2 more for a total of 5. So my question is this, how many chicks could she handle if I can get her to adopt the incubator chicks? It would be nice to only house raise a few, I was hoping her sister would go broody again too and give her some too, but no go. Any advice accepted. TIA Melissa

I have seen bantams with up to ten.. How cold is your area??I would make sure that she can cover how ever mny you put in there...

It's about 40 at night and 50 to 60 during the day. I put one more under her last night, I believe she could do two more, but I just don't want to push it. I will wait and see when they are born and put two more out there.

I would match the number of chicks with the number of eggs she can comfortably cover. Don't push it too much. Those chicks will soon grow a lot bigger than the eggs and she has to keep them warm at night until they feather out. I don't see a good reason to make it any harder on mama than you have to.

fl.gif
Good luck with your hatch.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom