Broody Bantam with bad idea

DON956

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2015
Roma, Texas
So I went missing one of my girls three days ago, looked around for her and couldn't find her. Anyways, I was cleaning the coop today and found her sitting on 6 eggs on a nest she made on the ground in the middle of 4 50 lbs sacks of feed. Now if I use them sacks I can always replace them with new ones but what if she doesn't like the new arrangements of feed sacks and leaves her nest? Another issue is what if she hatches on her nest in the ground and the chicks get covered with ants? Should I move her from there to a safer place? And if I do, what if she leaves the eggs and won't sit on them? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have struggled with the same problem so many times before. We have a silkie that is always willing to move nests. However, all our other hens (who aren't silkies) won't move without a fight or being broken-up. They don't like changes to their nest in the least. However, your hen may be different. I've had many broody hens break-up after being disturbed, so if you want her eggs to hatch and you don't have an incubator to use then it may be best to try to leave her be.
As for the ants, if they are a problem in your barn, there are ways to control that are safe to use around chicks. Because of the climate where I live we don't have ant problems. However, mites do sometimes get on broody hens and their chicks and a good dust bathing sight will clear them up in a few days.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom