Broody bantam

MrsMommaJones

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
My little mini went broody today. I'm not sure that I should try to let her hatch them this late in the year, We're in central Texas so it's still pretty warm, We hadn't planned on hatching any eggs until spring =(

Are you going to let her hatch or not? You need to decide. Brooding for no reason is bad for a hen's body and you need to break her if you aren't going to let her hatch.

My little mini went broody today. I'm not sure that I should try to let her hatch them this late in the year, We're in central Texas so it's still pretty warm, We hadn't planned on hatching any eggs until spring =(

Are you worried about the chicks not being old enough to survive winter? If so, then in my opinion, they should be fine. I live in west Tennessee, which probably has colder temps in winter than central Texas. My Silkies were too young to be broody last winter, but the local Silkie breeder lets a few of his hens hatch eggs in fall and winter. He does not heat his coops and the chicks don't die from the cold. The chicks will be feathered out by the time it gets really cold and they instinctively figure out ways to get warmed up, like huddling together.

I let my hens hatch year round, if they are so inclined. I've had broodies and chicks out scratching around with a couple inches of snow on the ground without issue. When they get cold, they run under mom and warm up for a bit, then head back out into the big bad world.
Good luck :)

Ty. Yes we wanted her to have a chance to hatch a few to see how well she would do.Next spring I would like for her to hatch her own eggs with our silky roo.

We did leave her with one egg to hatch but on day 3 one of our RiR pecked it when Beatrix hoped up for a drink. We did replace it with 2 large eggs and moved her to a maternity coop. :)

The other hens had started to pick on her. More than just a pecking order thing. They had plucked some of her neck feathers. We may transfer her to the silkie coop sooner than we had planned.

Our main concern was the winter weather. This is or first winter with chickens and I'm worried about them getting sick.

Last edited:

Day 6 and looking great. Ignore the line. It's not a blood line it's marker. Growing big and veins are webbing the yolk. so far so good

Glad to hear she's doing well!

I've got 5 broodies right now, 2 with chicks, 2 sitting on eggs and one sitting on air because I've run out of eggs :oops: Its been crazy around here!

It's so hard to wait!!! Come on little peeps you can do it! These little ones are extra special. Not only will they be the first peeps we hatch ourselves but they are due to hatch on my nieces birthday. She had just recently lost her lost her chicks. As much as I would love to keep them they would be a great bday present =)

Back
Top Bottom