Broody Bantams!

olijo123

Songster
8 Years
Jun 10, 2013
WV
Hi! I have been wanting to hatch some chicks the natural way through broodiness. So....I tried a method to speed up the process. I read that if you left golf balls sitting in the nesting boxes it encourages broodiness. So I decided to try it out and I let real eggs accumulate in the boxes since I didn't have golf balls. I never thought any of my hens would go broody but I was wrong! lol I have kept eggs in there for about 5 days and two of my bantam hens have gone broody. One is a frizzled Serama and the other is a Japanese Bantam. My plan is to take a few out since they are not fresh and replace them with fresher eggs. But if they stick with it this would be my first time with broody bantams! If there are some broody experts here on BYC then I would love some advice on how to care for the broody! Thanks!

Bantams are great for raising chicks, they are fantastic mothers. I have hatched chickens, quail, pheasant and peacock eggs under broody hens. If I am keeping the broody hens in the chicken pen which I usually don't do I sometimes will remove the rooster because sometimes they can be aggressive around baby chicks. Good luck with your hatch!!!

Bantams are great for raising chicks, they are fantastic mothers. I have hatched chickens, quail, pheasant and peacock eggs under broody hens. If I am keeping the broody hens in the chicken pen which I usually don't do I sometimes will remove the rooster because sometimes they can be aggressive around baby chicks. Good luck with your hatch!!
I have read a lot on bantams being good mothers! And I will probably put her in a cage of some sort so the other chickens don't bother the eggs or her. Thanks for your help!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom