Best Bantam Breeds for Egg Production?

RememberTheWay

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Looking to get some bantams and would like them to lay eggs and maybe go broody as well. So far I considering some bantam Silkies and Cochins for this purpose.

What is everyones experience with their egg production?

Other breed suggestions?

Thanks in Advance 🌷

My Old English Game bantams were seasonal layers (as most bantams are) and they laid pretty good for me. Some of them would brood once a year and stay with their young until they went broody again.

My Old English Game bantams were seasonal layers (as most bantams are) and they laid pretty good for me. Some of them would brood once a year and stay with their young until they went broody again.
So how long do they lay? Are silkies and Cochins seasonal too

And I have a few colors in OEGB already. I don't find them very friendly, not mean but not really pets either. They just started laying this spring. Then I needed to move them pens and it's disrupted their laying 😔 some of them started again a couple wks later but some still aren't.

I have an American game fowl that I think lays seasonally too. At least this last year she did exactly what you're describing. She laid a clutch hatched them all, raised them and stayed with them until she went broody again and raised a second clutch. She is quite an impressive mother though. BUT she throws all boys! Unfortunately

So how long do they lay? Are silkies and Cochins seasonal too
Their laying season is typically March to September.
And I have a few colors in OEGB already. I don't find them very friendly, not mean but not really pets either. They just started laying this spring. Then I needed to move them pens and it's disrupted their laying 😔 some of them started again a couple wks later but some still aren't.

I have an American game fowl that I think lays seasonally too. At least this last year she did exactly what you're describing. She laid a clutch hatched them all, raised them and stayed with them until she went broody again and raised a second clutch. She is quite an impressive mother though. BUT she throws all boys! Unfortunately
They are a more aggressive breed. They like to rule the barnyard, even if the other chickens are big standards. They are also intelligent for the chicken relm, which gives them advantage against gentler breeds.

Some broodies do that with their roosters. I actually had an Orpington that was like that. She was an excellent mother and hatched chicks for multiple years, but she always bullied her sons once they hit a certain age. It was actually helpful in determining their sex, just probably not good for them to be pecked all the time.

Looking to get some bantams and would like them to lay eggs and maybe go broody as well. So far I considering some bantam Silkies and Cochins for this purpose.

What is everyones experience with their egg production?

Other breed suggestions?

Thanks in Advance 🌷
My oegb and sebright are seasonal layers,but my cochin bantams are pretty consistent, but tend to go broody

Back
Top Bottom