Bantam Rooster with Full Size Hens-I've Got Questions?

Thank you both for your replies! I'm giving serious thought to adding a Bantam then this spring. The 2 Bielefelder girls will be daunting task for the little fellow as these girls are HUGE :) I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad to know this might actually work, will be interesting to say the least.

What breeds would you recommend as I have no experience with Bantams. I like the idea of an EE bantam, any other breeds that I should consider?
In my experiences I like the bantam cochins. They are big enough to get the job done and make great flock roosters. Smaller breeds I would avoid if you want fertile eggs. Those sometimes just mate the hens back. My bantam EE also seem to get the job done. If you hens are very large you may have problems. The plus side of bantam roosters is I don't get bare backed hens anymore.

In my experiences I like the bantam cochins. They are big enough to get the job done and make great flock roosters. Smaller breeds I would avoid if you want fertile eggs. Those sometimes just mate the hens back. My bantam EE also seem to get the job done. If you hens are very large you may have problems. The plus side of bantam roosters is I don't get bare backed hens anymore.
Great info! I was looking at a few options for Cochins, but there are so many breeds to research, will be a fun adventure. One of the one reasons to go bantam was to not wear out by main girls and give some stability in the flock I hope. Looking forward to this new journey.

My thinking is pretty similar. Not too small, not too much feather in the foot, basically a bird that has no difficulty mounting. I'd put cochins on that list, but since you say they've worked out, I trust it

Right now I have Egyptian Fayoumi hens, bantam hens and medium sized barnyard crosses in with my Silver Duck Wing Bantam roosters as my EF roosters were driving the hens crazy.

Now the barnyard crosses and EF hens are frustrating my little bantam boys. I have to admit it's hysterical to watch. Those boys give it their best shot. They dance, they tid bit, they flirt they BEG! But when the time comes to get down to business those hens aren't having anything to do with it...or them.

On more than one instance, The SDW roosters have mounted one of the much larger hens and I've seen the girl simply tuck her head down between her legs so that the little Romeo does a summersault over her head. When he gets upright, she gives him a peck sending him on his way. He responds by thumping his chest and crowing like he's the best lover to come down the pike.

The topper was when one tried to mount one of the Fayoumi girls. She just reached around, grabbed him by the wing and slammed him over her shoulder onto his back on the ground slicker than an MMA ring fighter. Didn't hurt him but he go the idea.

Still crowed like he'd hit a home run with her.

I'm not saying it isn't possible. I just haven't seen it happen with my flock. Which is why I put the layers in with my bantam boys to give the girls a rest from the larger roosters.

On the other hand I have had standard roosters cover and successfully mate my bantam hens. And I have had successful hatchings from those eggs. What I've gotten are birds larger than the Bantams but much smaller than my medium sized EF roosters. I don't recommend it. Even medium sized roosters can kill a bantam hen mating her and I have had that happen. Since the one and only incident as soon as I have seen the larger roosters start to take an interest in the bantam hens I separate them ASAP to avoid any more injuries or mating deaths.

Right now I have a bachelor pen adjacent to my main coop.

The bantam girls LOVE to flirt with those big handsome boys through the fence. The little Minxes.

I cannot recommend bantam roosters with full sized hens enough! They have been my favorite pair! The banty roosters don’t do as much damage to my full size hens than my big roosters have done, and I have hatched eggs from this pairing! The young tend to be medium sized hens, smaller than my full size but bigger than my bantams. my bantam roosters have also been so sweet and kind. I highly highly recommend them <3

I've got two bantam Cochin roosters in with my mixed flock of ages, breeds, and sizes. The five bantam hens don't seem super enthusiastic about buddying up with the boys, and the bigger hens are difficult for the boys to mate with. Some of the eggs have bull's-eyes, indicating that mating has been successful, but a lot of them don't. I like the bantam roosters, though; I'm not as concerned about them causing problems with smaller hens.

I've read on this site a few instances where members have luck with their flock when there is a mix of sizes. I have a few questions if anyone has experience or would like to ponder these questions with me.

1. Has anyone successfully had a Bantam Rooster mate and produce fertile eggs with a full size hen?
2. If the Bantam cannot mate successfully, will he make a good addition to a flock of 8 Pullets for security and wellbeing?
3. If the Bantam hits the target and a broody hen hatches the offspring, are these considered Bantams or what concoction will they be?
1. Yes, sometimes. If they like him they'll squat way down for him. And it's funnier than heck to watch.....
2. Totally depends on the rooster. Some bantys aren't worth stewing, some are great. (just like any other breed)
3. ... They're chickens. Call 'em anything you like. No one (who really loves chickens) will argue with you. No one else matters! 🐔

Thank you to everyone who has responded with such knowledge and information, this is what makes this site so valuable to us chicken folks.

I truly am looking forward to adding a Bantam to our flock and the journey of picking just the right breed. Our girls are just now 17weeks and oh boy the hormones and estrogen levels are off the charts! My hopes are by Spring everyone will have begun laying and be a little more calm and acceptable to the little guy :fl

I am so happy to see this thread! We have a mixed group that we got as chicks, and I’ve got 4 birds trying to crow, one of which is the most beautiful bantam. He thinks he’s a big bird, and I’d hate to get rid of him. Any thoughts on whether I’d be able to keep him and a full sized roo?

Back
Top Bottom