Bantam Rooster with Full Size Hens-I've Got Questions?

Apr 20, 2023
Coastal NC
I've read on this site a few instances where members have luck with their flock when there is a mix of sizes. I have a few questions if anyone has experience or would like to ponder these questions with me.

1. Has anyone successfully had a Bantam Rooster mate and produce fertile eggs with a full size hen?
2. If the Bantam cannot mate successfully, will he make a good addition to a flock of 8 Pullets for security and wellbeing?
3. If the Bantam hits the target and a broody hen hatches the offspring, are these considered Bantams or what concoction will they be?

Currently we have 5 EE's, 2 Beilefelder and 1 Partridge or Starlite, not quite sure yet on her to be honest.

Not currently looking for a Roo, but there is an opportunity to add one this spring and wanted to throw out these questions to the masses to see what you guys/gals think. Any advice or opinions are welcomed.

I only keep bantam roosters now. Most can successfully mate full size hens. It may take them a while to figure it out. All of mine are great roosters. I've even had silkie roosters with full sized hens.

Bantam roosters in general are easier on the hens. They also seem to prefer less hens so you can keep more roosters to hens. My personal favorites are bantam cochins, and bantam Easter eggers. I wouldn't mind a bantam barred rock some day.

Well, I cannot exactly answer this through experience. Technically there should be no problem. I have experience with a serama male with a silkie mix female, so basically same difference in build. He's been successful so far. I wouldn't worry about it, they find a way to make it work. As for what the offspring would fall under, somewhere in the middle, they wouldnt be classified as bantams, no. A :woot for you having bantams in the future

Thank you both for your replies! I'm giving serious thought to adding a Bantam then this spring. The 2 Bielefelder girls will be daunting task for the little fellow as these girls are HUGE :) I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad to know this might actually work, will be interesting to say the least.

What breeds would you recommend as I have no experience with Bantams. I like the idea of an EE bantam, any other breeds that I should consider?

Thank you both for your replies! I'm giving serious thought to adding a Bantam then this spring. The 2 Bielefelder girls will be daunting task for the little fellow as these girls are HUGE :) I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad to know this might actually work, will be interesting to say the least.

What breeds would you recommend as I have no experience with Bantams. I like the idea of an EE bantam, any other breeds that I should consider?
I ADORE Cornish bantams. Hands down my favorite bantam.

The offspring would be considered in-between sizes. Some will be larger than others

I will just chime in to say i’ve had the opposite experience - my cross bantam rooster doesn't succeed in mating my standard hens, at least three times out of four.
I suppose this is a rather rare situation , because i’ve seen a number of posts asking just the same question and most people say it works out.
In my case, I think it has made my rooster quite cranky and stressed. He does watch and alert like he should, but he has always been too insistent with the hens and they never took to him.
Now I also have a bigger rooster who turned dominant a few months ago and things are working out much better for the hens. However, he has badly hurt one of my smaller runt hen, who used to be his favourite .
If I was to do everything over again I would get chickens of similar sizes.

I will just chime in to say i’ve had the opposite experience - my cross bantam rooster doesn't succeed in mating my standard hens, at least three times out of four.
I suppose this is a rather rare situation , because i’ve seen a number of posts asking just the same question and most people say it works out.
In my case, I think it has made my rooster quite cranky and stressed. He does watch and alert like he should, but he has always been too insistent with the hens and they never took to him.
Now I also have a bigger rooster who turned dominant a few months ago and things are working out much better for the hens. However, he has badly hurt one of my smaller runt hen, who used to be his favourite .
If I was to do everything over again I would get chickens of similar sizes.

Same, if I were to do things all over again I'd only get bantams. I've seen my boy miss a few times as well, but not that much

Thanks everyone! I have a lot of research and decisions to make this fall. I'm not telling the "girls" either, they may revolt :)
I've been considering hatching a few eggs with an incubator or just finding the right hatchery to get 2 Speckled Sussex pullets, 1 Frizzle EE and of course my bantam cockerel, hopefully I can find all 3 at the right place.

I have a silkie roo in with my full sized hens with no problems. He definitely seems to prefer the smaller hens, judging by how often he mates them, but he also services the Brahma and Orpington. I'm on my 4th broody hatch this year with very good success rates! I kept one of his sons since my flock keeps growing, but none of the hens will have anything to do with him yet lol.

Back
Top Bottom