1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ivytalon, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Ivytalon

Ivytalon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    I know Barred Rock's are reported to not go broody, and that is why they're good production hens. I have two barred rocks and upon looking in the coop today I noticed Esther was sitting in the box. She lays early in the morning, never the afternoon, so I opened the door to the garden. Usually she is the first out and the last in, but she stayed in the box! Eventually she got up and went onto the step to look around outside. I picked up her egg and turned to leave, she ran inside into the box and started screaming. So I put the egg on the side of the box, she tried to peck me and tucked the egg under her, wings spread slightly to cocoon it. I work on a farm, so i'm used to broody hens, and know how to break them. We do have a rooster in the pen, so she is very well fertile (he goes to charm her every morning straight out of the coup), and has displayed signs of wanting to set before. I just want to know if she is just being moody, or is it kind of possible for a barred rock to go broody?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Try as they might, to breed broodiness out of a line of birds, sometimes nature just doesn't cooperate. Yes, of course, she can be broody.

3. Ivytalon

Ivytalon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Alright, I figured as such but wanted some reassurance. [​IMG] Now I guess I have to wait and see if she is actually broody or just playing at setting again.

4. KristyAnn

KristyAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    You ever find out if your girl was broody or not? I am beginning to think mine is now beginning to become broody.

5. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I'm curious to know as well. Of the two dozen or so chickens I've had in my two years of chickening, the only two remaining from my original flock are my barred rock hens. They have never gone broody!

6. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

Before the hatcheries started messing with the different breeds and making the mutts we see today, the BR's were known for going broody and made great mothers also. It sounds to me, like she has gone broody!

I am sooo hoping to get at least ONE of my hatchery BR mutts, to go broody this spring, so they can raise the new chicks I have ordered. I know it might not happen, but one can hope [​IMG]

7. Dreyadin

Dreyadin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Our friend's BR hen is a wonderful girl. Not laying much as she is older- but she does a good job as a Mom. He just puts her in a cat carrier with a dozen eggs and not even 10 minutes later she's settled in. She goes from sweet and adorable to Henzilla on the nest.

Mine ... no desire to be broody.

I offered him $20 for her (and he knows how spoiled my birds are).. he won't sell.

8. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got a hatchery mutt barred SOMETHING (not sure if she's supposed to be a Dominique or Barred Rock) who is only the size of a gamefowl...but she has decided TODAY to go broody. In my straw bales. *facepalm*

She is ADAMANT about this.

9. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

That's wonderful news to hear. I have some hope now!!! I have 14 pullets, spring hatched, that just started laying day before Thanksgiving.

It's my first time with hatchery chickens and so I feel like a newbie and had to read up on them. Was sooo disappointed to read that they no longer went broody.

Thanks for giving me hope back!!!! I have 10 heritage Barred Plymouth Rock chicks and 6 Dominique chicks coming in the spring...on both waiting lists for them...and truth be told, am not really into the chick stage. I ordered the Dom's as they are known for going broody, especially being heritage birds, so hope to use them for brooding eggs and raising the chicks...but until they are old enough....well you see where I'm going with this.

Prayers said, fingers crossed, and knocking on wood, that at least ONE will go broody when the chicks arrive in the spring!!!

Thanks all!!!! [​IMG]

10. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    For what it's worth, my Ideal Hatchery Buff Brahmas each went broody twice in their first year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by