Broody behavior??? Help

waitin on eggs

Songster
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
Spartansburg,PA
Ok i have a buff orpington that has been laying for approx 7-8 wks now
She went in the coop to lay today approx 2:30 and has been sitting ther ever since it is now 7pm. So for 4.5 hours she has been sitting in the nest box. I've gone to check on a few times as i'm pretty sure theres at least 3 eggs under her from my other girls. Well i reach out to touch her and she makes an awful growling sound and gives me a very wicked look!! I am hoping shes ok! What is going on?? Broody? Sick? The others are about to roost for the night soon. Do i leave her alone? pull eggs out ? It seems as if she is going to attack me! I'm not sure what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

She sounds broody to me. If you want her to hatch chicks then leave her alone, if not then take her off the nest. If they are determined to sit, it will be very hard to break her of it. I usually just let them have the eggs to hatch. Good Luck!

ETA: Are they fertile? Do you have a rooster? If they are not fertile then they won't hatch, so you will either need to get fertilized eggs or try to break her of her broodiness.

Last edited:
Yep, it sure sounds like she is broody!
wink.png
You can let her be and hatch if you want some chicks and yes they become very protective of their nest!!!

Well i dont have a roo! So they're not gonna hatch. Remove her and put her where? Just on the roost or outside? Will she bite me? Shoul i just grab eggs and let her stay? Ughhh i'm so not prepared for this

Update!
Ok i removed her from the nest scooped out the eggs set her outside, she was not happy definately did not want me there. good thing i wore gloves,never thought they coukd be so viscious!! Lol but before i coukd walk away she went back to the nest and sat tight! Shoukd i offer her food and water or will she get up? Will i need to do this everday?

You will need to do this everyday until you break her unless you can get some fertile eggs to hatch. They do get up once or twice a day to eat, drink, & poop when they are broody. Yes, some broody hens can be quite nasty protecting their nest.

Yep, she's going to do that til you can convince her she's not brooding. I've read in here that you can put them in a wire bottomed cage til they break.Could take 3 days. You can try just keeping on taking her eggs. Or, get a roo and let her hatch!

Back
Top Bottom