Broody Behavior- normal or not?

Anna-MN

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
So I have a BCM hen that went broody. I couldn't break her after a week so I decided to get her some hatching eggs. I set her up in a vacant coop with a large nest box full of shavings, feathers, and a plastic nest pad. I put the eggs in her nest and I put her in there and she became extremely upset (to be expected). It's been an hour and she wants nothing to do with the nest. Is this normal? I was told to move her to a secluded location to prevent other hens from laying in her nest. I feel like I might have made a mistake. This is my first broody and I could use any advice available!

When moving a broody hen, in my experience it is best to do so at night, and to place her in an enclosed situation (dog crate/box/etc.). If she is setting in a box, it is wise to move that in conjunction with her. I think that some hens imprint more on the nest site than on the eggs.

agree, but now that she's in there I say hold tight. she might not agree right now, but hopefully soon she will settle on the nest and stick there for good. I moved a broody about 3 feet to a ground nest within the same coop and she kept going back, until I actually locked/barred here in there for a day and a night. after that, she stayed on the new nest!

Just went out and she was sitting on her eggs but she is far too small to fit all 14 eggs under her. But wouldn't you know it, when I opened the nest box door, her sister had ripped out all her breast feathers and was nastier than ever. I had my eye on her the past few days since she has been a little brat. But I took 7 of the eggs from the first broody (while she was running around freaking out) and put them in another portable nest box and put the second broody in and she sat right down and made her nest. Never thought I'd have two broodies at once!

Back
Top Bottom