Broody BO..maybe...what to do...????

Adychicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Forest Hill, Maryland
I have 3 BO and 3 Barred Rocks. One of my BO has been disappearing and I thought she was gone for good last night when she didn't return to the coop at dusk. I checked the yard last night and early this am and didn't see her. She did reappear in the coop mid morning and was sitting with the other 2 BO. Then she disappeared again and I found her late this evening sitting in a window well against the house. When I picked her up to put her in the coop I found 18 eggs !!! I am worried about her because the temps were in the upper 80's w/ high humidity today and will continue for a few more days at least. What do I need to do? What do I need to watch her for? Are the others likely to join her? AHHHHHHH !!!

I wish I knew what to tell you...My darn BO won't get out of the nest box. I "kick" her out a couple of times a day and she goes straight back in. I've locked her out to, doesn't matter, as soon as it's open again, she's in. I feel worse for the other girls trying to get in the next box to lay. I can hear them "bickering" then finally they just get in and lay with her there.

Edited for grammar.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have the same problem with one of my BOs. She hasn't lain an egg in over 2 weeks and now the others are slacking off too. I've been reluctant to employ the cage method, but I don't feel like there is any choice at thes point.

Well, after being removed from her nest and spending the night with the rest of the girls in the coop, my BO is acting like the rest of the flock. I haven't caught her back on the nest she had the 14 eggs stashed in. I guess she is over it and no one else seems to be acting weird. This seemed too easy. Does this sound right?

Back
Top Bottom