Broody BO pullet- left facial edema, new beak asymetry, RLE paresis, inability to swallow, wasting b

2 lbs 7 oz this am. Fed 1 egg yolk/ms/oj /water totalling ~30 cc this morning as usual, this afternoon fed her 2 egg yolks with enough electrolyte-supplemented water to equal about 55cc. Anyone know if this is sufficient? Couldn't tell looking at the nutrition forums . . . . and caloric recommendations for chickens = what?

I think her mouth prevents her from eating/drinking. She dips her beak into water then lifts her head but doesn't tilt; I see the water drip out. She pecks at food but it just falls out; by the end of the day her mouth looks full of dirt. I'm leaving the heat lamp off tonight.

The following is from this website:
http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/trichomonas.html

1) white or yellow cheesy-looking plaques, ulcers and/or nodules inside of the mouth and throat;
2) reduced appetite, complete inappetance and/or a physical inability to eat;
3) inability to swallow (either due to pain or because of severe esophageal thickening making food difficult to pass);
4) crop stasis (thickening of the lining of the crop and/or oesophagus results in an inability of the food to move from the mouth to the stomach, producing starvation);
5) excessive mucus in the mouth, esophagus and crop;
6) regurgitation;
7) vomiting (some birds vomit blood);
8) dehydration;
9) weight loss and poor body condition (some birds can become extremely emaciated);
10) depression (fluffed-up, sleepy appearance - the 'sick bird' look);
11) weakness;
12) diarrhea;
13) respiratory distress (the mucus secretions plug the trachea and throat, making it hard for the birds to breathe);
14) liver damage can occur if the liver is invaded by Trichomonas organisms, resulting in green biliverdinemia (birds with liver failure or 'jaundice' appear green, not yellow);
15) death.

Please keep in mind that I have no idea what is wrong and am just throwing out ideas.

Last edited:
Mycoplamsa synoviae has lameness and the mycoplamsa gallisepticum has respiratory features. But honestly you would need a necropsy or get a vet involved to find out whether it is something like that.

You can contact your state vet or county extension agent if you are interested in necropsy at a later date. I will just keep hoping that someone else will chime in with the answer for you.

Last edited:
Thank you, I really appreciate the links.

I'm going to pursue the definitive necropsy option when/if this bird dies. We can't even rule out traumatic head injury! Tube feeding has worked a miracle but that's not a long-term option. Her chicks are almost 3 weeks old, we'll have to start their juvie coop a little sooner than usual . . .

I compared the inside of her mouth to my other BO, not that different but definitely dirtier. Wish like hell she could at least drink water; going out to tube her again . . .

Back
Top Bottom