Broody breaking not working.

Henriettamom919

Crowing
May 1, 2019
North of Seattle
One of the reasons I've always been reluctant to lock Henrietta up in the past is she's not solid broody- lays every other day and didn't live on the nest except the one time of three.

I wouldn't care except she only has two flockmates and naturally they both give her a really hard time with all her fluffing, clucking and loner behavior.

It got bad enough this last time with her behavior and general lack of appetite I tossed her in early on. Yesterday she laid an egg during her once daily hour long "break" and went up to roost last night but slept on the ground. This morning she was even worse, just a walking puff ball doing the ticking time bomb cluck and screeching at her mates who of course, chased her in response.

I've been keeping her in the crate, no bedding and cool water dunking her before putting her back for three straight days minus an hour in the evening because she often continues laying while like this.

If the point is to cool her down what do I do when she's continuing to lay and not sitting the nest? Should I just let her out and let it pass? I'm buying a wire crate this coming Friday but breast temperature doesn't seem to be the issue here?

I'm sorry I keep whining about this one hen but she is getting pretty bullied at this point when exposed to her flockmates and not following any of the usual "broody rules" :he:barnie

Consider the following approach.

Place her in a cage she can see through easily like a rabbit cage. Elevate the cage in a location that is clearly not like her nest site or suitable for making one to deal with imprinting. To deal with her internal issues, get her weight up by providing a wetted / fermented food that is exceptionally palatable.

I get broody cycles to break early by giving broody hens with chicks food that is very rich and in excess. The overly heavy hens wean chicks earlier than those that go through the normal weight reduction pattern. For me that is an actual problem.

Consider the following approach.

Place her in a cage she can see through easily like a rabbit cage. Elevate the cage in a location that is clearly not like her nest site or suitable for making one to deal with imprinting. To deal with her internal issues, get her weight up by providing a wetted / fermented food that is exceptionally palatable.

I get broody cycles to break early by giving broody hens with chicks food that is very rich and in excess. The overly heavy hens wean chicks earlier than those that go through the normal weight reduction pattern. For me that is an actual problem.

Thank you! I have an unused rabbit hutch that is in a familiar part of the yard but nothing she'd associate with nesting or "home". If she ends up dropping an egg in there do I just remove it and leave her there?

Back
Top Bottom